What band plays is okay but not my thing?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jun 6, 2004.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    So I'm in a band, and we get along okay, and the music we play is okay, but its not really my thing? Its the basic 4 person setup (drums, bass, two guitars) but its mainly the idea of having one really loud distorted rhythm guitar on one side and having a heavily effected (its only distortion and delay at the moment) lead guitar on the other side. This setup is fine except its kind of getting repetitive (and annoying). I think the delayed guitar actually really clashes with whatever the hell the rhythm guitarist is playing (he has this fixated idea that heavy distortion means heavy playing, leading me to have not even the slightest idea whats coming out of him). I like my band, but it just seems our musical choices are really going against each other and I'm not sure where I should go with this. I'll play anything really but lately its been that all we've been playing is what that darned rhythm guitarist writes, and everytime the lead guitarist writes stuff the rhythm guitarist seems to want nothing of it. What should I do? :confused: :meh:
  2. Randi

Jun 4, 2004
    Camron Park CA
    :confused: I think you should tell your band how you feel. Then they can either try to work on it, or they wont and you will have a choice. You can stick with it, or you can find someone else. Hopefully they will try and make it work. If you aren't happy, and having fun, whats the point of being in the band? You should tell them how you feel though, so they can try and work things out, I think. You should talk to the lead guitarist, and see if he agrees with you on changing the sound a bit. He sounds reasonable. Oh, I have heard a bass that was clean as day. You need to have really good action on your bass, and you can take it into a music shop and they will adjust it for you. I think it costs about $50. You can also file down your frets, but I don't recomend doing that.

3. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    :scowl: Me and the lead guitarist (my best friend probably) talked with the terribly loud rhythm guitarist last night and we had some fights (this is on the internet though, so who knows how credible this is). Rhythm guitarist was just being a pissy baby about everything. He keeps asking us a couple of days out of every practice "What do you guys want out of this?" He was demanding that we get our _shizzle_ down and that we have to be sensible towards how he feels towards the band. Of course, I thought this to be complete utter bullcrap because he has got to be the most selfish person I've known. He even called the lead guitarist a _bundle of sticks_, as if it were funny, and then tried to play things off like it was okay. He also kept wanting to know what kind of bands I like, as if knowing the bands I like would help him alter our sound (Yeah, RIGHT). I'm rather frustrated with this guy and I can't stand his attitude. This is definitely divebombing into someone getting kicked out of the band, isn't it guys?
  4. If you guys enjoy different types of music, u guys have to agree on some way to distribute the songs you play into those that you like. Just say if 3 of you like 3 different types of music, then you would play 3 songs, out of one which you enjoy, and the other 2 that you don't enjoy.

If that does not cut it, get out!

I am almost in the same position. But its important to have band members that are open minded, and are able to play music that they did not like, just because one of you do.

It gets boring and de-motivated, if we are always playing music that is not "our" thing.
  5. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Maybe you guys should look for another guitarist. I have played in different bands over the years where the music wasn't my favorite, but had good people that I enjoyed being around and playing with. But in your case the guy sounds like he is being a jerk. Playing music that you don't like with people you don't like better be paying some huge money or else you are getting shortchanged.