1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bands inspired you to be "tight" in your bass careers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DAcat, Jan 8, 2018.

1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    The concept of becoming "tight" as a band first occurred to me in around 67. I was 15-16 and had been in my first band about 1 1/2 yrs.We had virtually been practicing every day for hours together and also for more hours alone. After about a year we started gigging, then opening for the big regional acts, and finally for national and international acts. In 67, we opened for Van Morrison and Them and I think they first inspired us to really get "tight". Seeing the early Johnny Winter Band and The Jeff Beck Group in 68-69 made us realize that there were extreme variations of "tightness "between bands who were and those who weren't, but those two groups both were, and inspired us to work even harder to play well and incorperate more complex rhythms, dynamics, stops, starts, and the use of jams and silence. In 69 we were fortunate enough to open for the great guitarist Tommy Boland and his very tight Blues-Rock band Zephyr. An Electric Miles Davis Band totally BLEW ME away with a COMPLETELY different version of what I thought "tightness" was. I was never the same, the veil had been lifted! Other bands who I felt were especially tight were, The Who, The James Gang, and Bonnie Raitt. And Little Feat!! And later I was very impressed by the tightness of The Mahavishnu Orchestra, and of course, Weather Report, before and especially after Jaco joined.

I know we all started at different times in different places, with different styles of music and different concepts of what "Tight" is, but I'm curious what bands inspired you to play "TIGHT"( I'M not really asking for contemporary inspirations... But throw them in too if you want. I almost only listen to "TIGHT" MUSIC now unless I am listening to something relaxing).
    Peace,
    DAcat

JimK likes this.
  2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    One of the tightest bands i’ve ever seen was The Kinsey Report.

DAcat and JimK like this.
  3. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    1) The Meters
    2) Booker T and the MGs

4. dbbltime

dbbltime

Oct 5, 2014
    NRH, Texas
    Tower of power, and Steely Dan come to mind.

DAcat, kobass, JimK and 1 other person like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Try playing Chicago and BS&T with a 4 piece horn section that never made a mistake in 2 years.