Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bands should I see at Coachella?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 10, 2004.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Anyone else going to this two day festival in Indio, California?

I only bought tickets for the Saturday show, because it's a bit steep for me and my wife (but I'll be staying somewhere close by, and hope/think that I'll be able to hear The Flaming Lips from there).

Anyway, here's the lineup for Saturday:
    Radiohead
    The Pixies
    Kraftwerk
    Wilco
    The (International) Noise Conspiracy
    Sparta
    Desert Sessions
    Laurent Garnier
    Hieroglyphics
    The Rapture
    Stereolab
    And you will know us by The Trail of Dead
    Peretz
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Kinky
    LCD Soundsystem
    Living Legends
    Seb Fontaine
    Sander Kleinenberg
    The Black Keys
    The Sounds
    Howie Day
    Junior Senior
    Mark Farina
    Moving Units
    Sahara Hotnights
    Electric Six
    The Stills
    22-20's
    Da Lata
    Juana Molina
    Phantom Planet
    Mindless Self Indulgence
    Dios
    Q and not U
    Stellastarr*
    Savath & Savalas
    Erase Errata
    The Section Quartet
    DJ Icon

As you might know, different bands play at the same time, so ones I'd like to see include Radiohead (over Pixies I guess, although that'd be sweet too...), Wilco (I'm guessing Kraftwerk is the same time), and Death Cab for Cutie. I've heard of a few others, but not most. I'm usually a couple years behind. I'm into checking out whatever.

More info (and Sunday's lineup) is at http://coachella.com

Soooo...if there are any bands in here you'd like to suggest, just tell me who and why. Fire away, hipsters.

Thanks,
    Marshall

2. Whatever you do DON'T miss the Pixies. Their return may not live up to the hype, but if it DOES, you won't want to miss it. :bassist:

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    man i wanted to go to that so bad but being in philly it would have been a couple days driving to get there and i have exams then. :mad:

i would definitely catch radiohead (above all else), kraftwerk, death cab, and the pixies. but electric six's song "gaybar" cracks me up everytime i hear it, i would check them out since i haven't heard any of their other stuff. but i don't think you can go wrong with whatever you check out.

jealous,
    -jimbo

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My friends really wanted to go to Coachella,they were working out this whole plan to fly there (cross-country) for two days, and then fly back...during finals week. I believe their last estimate-- if they didn't eat anything, or packed a lunch--was $610 dollars each.

I would highly reccommend seeing the Pixies, as you don't know how long this reunion will last, and, if they rock, you'll regret missing them. Wilco sounds good, also, Q Not U are supposed to be really good live. I'd also want to check out Erase Errata. And Mindless Self Indulgence always put on a good show.

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    GRAH! you should have bought sunday tickets, then you could have seen the cure and scarling.

SCARLING!! www.scarling.net

GO THERE NOW !

SCAAAARLING !

6. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I may go to the Sunday show by myself if it's not sold out (which is possible - a LOT of people are going this year). I just checked out Scarling's site...Good stuff!

Pixies v. Radiohead is a toughie for me. If they're at different times, of course I'll go to both. If they're at the same time, I guess I'll figure it out once I get there. Maybe I'll be in more of a Pixies mood. If one is much more crowded than the other, I'll go to whichever one I can see better.

Q not U...I forgot about them. Good call.

Of course, If anyone is playing there, let me know.

Thanks for all the tips, and keep them coming. :)

Marshall

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    S-P-A-R-T-A

What does it spell?

SPARTA....

Their cd wiretap scars is pretty good I think, I'd definately check them out over the other bands (personally, although Radiohead might be kinda good).

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Radiohead will play more gigs. The Pixies have reunited and this will probably be your only chance to see them.

SCARLING!

9. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    My favorite band in the whole wide world is Wilco. They have a new album coming out June 8 and so this will be one of the first performances where they will likely be playing some new stuff. This is a band taking quite a musical journey from the alternative country origin to their more artsy experimental stuff. They have added a guitar player and replaced a keyboard player this year.

DONT take a portapotty break during the Wilco set.

10. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    BUMP!

I broke down and bought a ticket for Sunday too. :hyper:
    Psyched to see the lips. Also interested in a few others, but curious what y'all would suggest.

Thoughts?

Marshall

Sunday's lineup:
    The Cure
    The Flaming Lips
    Air
    Belle & Sebastian
    Basement Jaxx
    Paul Van Dyk
    Bright Eyes
    Atmosphere
    Thursday
    BRMC
    Cursive
    Le Tigre
    The Crystal Method
    Dizzee Rascal
    Ferry Corsten
    Adam Freeland
    Mogwai
    Ash
    2manydjs
    Muse
    Sidestepper
    Danger Mouse
    Donald Glaude
    Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
    The Thrills
    Elefant
    Broken Social Scene
    Thelonious Monster
    The Sleepy Jackson
    Prefuse 73
    !!!
    Pretty Girls Make Graves
    The Cooper Temple Clause
    Sage Francis
    Supernatural
    T. Raumschmiere
    The Killers
    Whitestarr
    Home Town Hero
    The Section Quartet

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    A couple guys in my Theory/Ear Training class(es) are making the road trip down there this weekend (15 hours in the car....:eek: ). I would love to go, but alas...I'm broke..... :bawl:

I would definately catch the Pixies. Who knows how long this reunion'll last. I'm just sad that I can't afford tix to their September shows in the Bay Area (have to calculate the drive down in that equation).

Anyway, have fun. And give us a report on the show.

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    pretty girls make graves, LE TIGRE, muse, THE CURE.

I'm 99% sure that scarling. are playing on sunday as well, you HAVE to see them. Please, for me.

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Go see Antibalas, they're killer. Think Fela Kuti, Nigeria 70, afrobeat.

14. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    The Pixies
    Kraftwerk
    Wilco
    Stereolab
    Death Cab for Cutie
    The Black Keys
    Q and not U

The Cure
    Air
    Belle & Sebastian
    Bright Eyes
    Thursday
    Cursive
    Le Tigre
    Mogwai

i'd have to saw myself in half
    if the pixies and kraftwerk played at the same time
    2 bands that changed how i think about music

15. smperry

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll check out as many of these as possible...most of those were already on my list. Never heard of Antibalas, but that sounds like good stuff. Also I don't know Thursday or Bright Eyes, but I'll check sites.

Ok, I'll see Scarling :) But as much as I love the Cure (I do), if the Lips are the same time, I'll probably see them. Sorry!

Unfortunately, Wilco is no longer listed on the site, so I guess they're not playing. :(

It's great getting a "short" list from other bassists!

THANKS.
    Marshall

16. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    you should go to bonnaroo instead

17. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GO SEE

MUSE

you can thank me later.

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Black Keys are THE shiznit. If stage scheduling allows, you should check them out. They're the BEST of modern white-boy takes on the old blues. They gots SOUL! :D

19. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    IMO, The Cure should just call it quits- they were good back in the day, but they shouldn't risk losing it all by over-touring (actually I am not sure of their schedule). They should keep a low profile. I hope I get flamed or ignored.

20. Rapture! See them, some really fun basslines and a great stage show, and their sax player plays a mean cowbell.