Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Oct 1, 2005.

Whick bass would you pick?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2005.
  1. Pre-Gibson Tobias

20 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. MTD

35 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. F-bass

36 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Fodera

42 vote(s)
    22.8%
  5. Something else, what?

51 vote(s)
    27.7%
  1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I currently own 2 basses, a Sadowsky MS5 and Ibanez GWB1. They cover up my needs for a good basic fretted bass and for a good fretless. I am still looking for a bass, but I really don't know which one. So if you could recommend a bass that is something like this:

-5 string fretted
    -articulate, not boomy
    -growly
    -kind of hifi-tone with a solid bottom end and sparkly highs when needed
    -very bassy

I've thought of a few choices. A pre-Gibson Tobias, MTD, Fodera or F-bass. Which do you think is the best of these options, and why?

Do you people have any sound clips of F-basses? What do they really sound like? Which would be a better choice for fretboard woods, maple or ebony?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any of those basses would do what you want, so if it were me, I'd go with the bass I could get the cheapest. Ordinarily I'd say get a Fender, but for some reason, Fender doesn't do really well with 5-strings. They're OK but not great. I would also look into Ken Smith basses.

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I already have a Sadowsky 5-string jazz bass, so I want a totally different instrument. Fenders don't have the tone that I am searching for. Tom Kennedy of Dave Weckl band has a fantastic tone and he plays a Fodera. Maybe thats a good choice..

4. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I voted for another bass. Although I really want an F-Bass, and can't even imagine owning a Fodera at this point, all I really want is a Nordstrand.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably your most expensive choice too. I wouldn't count out Nordstrands, Benaventes, Elricks, or my personal favorite for the money right now is Chris Stambaugh. If it has to be one of those choices, I would say the F-Bass. I think it's a fantastic all around bass. I think Joel at the Groove Shoppe said it best about F-Basses... "I recommend F-Basses to the guys who want everything but don't have everything (meaning tons of cash)." I own one and think it's probably one of the best basses if not the best bass I've ever owned. The only thing I think it would "look" weird in is a rock setting, however I think it would sound great in a rock setting. I used it for a Jazz/Funk combo session that i did and it sounded phenominal. I've never played a Fodera. Victor Wooten has always made me want to try one of these bad boys, but I think with my budget, it's better that I don't. I've played and owned MTD's. They are great basses, Mike Tobias really knows his stuff, however I just felt they weren't for me. Play them all and you should decide.

6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Get a Modulus the necks are amazing.

7. I voted F Bass which I own....
    I tried Foderas and it's not the same deal to me!
    F Bass is a really versatile bass and the preamp is to die for.
    Try all and make your choice IMO!

8. I voted for MTDs. Mike can really help out with getting the tone you want, he knows just about everything with woods.

9. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    +1

10. Ive got an old lado fretless, and the antipop has an old fretted. i think they are fantastic, he has been making guitar, and bass for more than 25 years, even more than 35 i believe. his instruments are canadian made, and very affordable. mine feels like what i imagine an alembic would feel like.

11. I voted F bass.. It is easily the best sounding bass i ever played.. it does what you asked for very well. main impressions Very punshy, articulate, amazing consistensy betwen the strings and a killer b-string. im sure many other basses can do what you would like aswell. but i would chose the F.

they are simply amazing

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Since you already have two bolt-on basses, why not get a neck through this time around?

Check out the Yamaha BBNE2 (Nathan East model).

13. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Get a modulus flea 5. You won't be dissappointed...

14. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I voted for "other" as in a new, 2 pickup Stingray 5.

15. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I voted for MTD. I love how these basses look and sound. I don't own one; but from what I've seen and heard, Mike is the master.

Another bass I would be interested in if I had the money would be a Zon.

Joe

16. flange

flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
    Dingwall amazing tone and Bstring second would be the f bass

17. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    If I had the cash I would buy an Fbass. I've visited the website a few times and I got the hint that they're very 'articulate' as you put it. As far as fretboard material goes maple is going to give you a nice warm, and round tone, I guess like Fender? and the ebony is going to give you more growl and clearer highs. Based on what you said you're looking for I would go with the ebony.

Have fun spending a couple thousand dollars...I wish I could... :meh:

18. +1 on the Dingwall

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  20. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Pre-EB MM Stingray, white, maple. What can I say? I'm a simple teenager.