What bass am I looking for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Oct 1, 2005.

Whick bass would you pick?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2005.
  1. Pre-Gibson Tobias

20 vote(s)
  2. MTD

35 vote(s)
  3. F-bass

36 vote(s)
  4. Fodera

42 vote(s)
  5. Something else, what?

51 vote(s)
  1. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I currently own 2 basses, a Sadowsky MS5 and Ibanez GWB1. They cover up my needs for a good basic fretted bass and for a good fretless. I am still looking for a bass, but I really don't know which one. So if you could recommend a bass that is something like this:

-5 string fretted
    -articulate, not boomy
    -kind of hifi-tone with a solid bottom end and sparkly highs when needed
    -very bassy

I've thought of a few choices. A pre-Gibson Tobias, MTD, Fodera or F-bass. Which do you think is the best of these options, and why?

Do you people have any sound clips of F-basses? What do they really sound like? Which would be a better choice for fretboard woods, maple or ebony?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any of those basses would do what you want, so if it were me, I'd go with the bass I could get the cheapest. Ordinarily I'd say get a Fender, but for some reason, Fender doesn't do really well with 5-strings. They're OK but not great. I would also look into Ken Smith basses.
  3. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I already have a Sadowsky 5-string jazz bass, so I want a totally different instrument. Fenders don't have the tone that I am searching for. Tom Kennedy of Dave Weckl band has a fantastic tone and he plays a Fodera. Maybe thats a good choice..
  4. UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I voted for another bass. Although I really want an F-Bass, and can't even imagine owning a Fodera at this point, all I really want is a Nordstrand.
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably your most expensive choice too. I wouldn't count out Nordstrands, Benaventes, Elricks, or my personal favorite for the money right now is Chris Stambaugh. If it has to be one of those choices, I would say the F-Bass. I think it's a fantastic all around bass. I think Joel at the Groove Shoppe said it best about F-Basses... "I recommend F-Basses to the guys who want everything but don't have everything (meaning tons of cash)." I own one and think it's probably one of the best basses if not the best bass I've ever owned. The only thing I think it would "look" weird in is a rock setting, however I think it would sound great in a rock setting. I used it for a Jazz/Funk combo session that i did and it sounded phenominal. I've never played a Fodera. Victor Wooten has always made me want to try one of these bad boys, but I think with my budget, it's better that I don't. I've played and owned MTD's. They are great basses, Mike Tobias really knows his stuff, however I just felt they weren't for me. Play them all and you should decide.
  6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Get a Modulus the necks are amazing.
  7. I voted F Bass which I own....
    I tried Foderas and it's not the same deal to me!
    F Bass is a really versatile bass and the preamp is to die for.
    Try all and make your choice IMO!
  8. I voted for MTDs. Mike can really help out with getting the tone you want, he knows just about everything with woods.
  9. ganga

Jul 14, 2005
  10. Ive got an old lado fretless, and the antipop has an old fretted. i think they are fantastic, he has been making guitar, and bass for more than 25 years, even more than 35 i believe. his instruments are canadian made, and very affordable. mine feels like what i imagine an alembic would feel like.
  11. I voted F bass.. It is easily the best sounding bass i ever played.. it does what you asked for very well. main impressions Very punshy, articulate, amazing consistensy betwen the strings and a killer b-string. im sure many other basses can do what you would like aswell. but i would chose the F.

they are simply amazing
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Since you already have two bolt-on basses, why not get a neck through this time around?

Check out the Yamaha BBNE2 (Nathan East model).
  13. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Get a modulus flea 5. You won't be dissappointed...
  14. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I voted for "other" as in a new, 2 pickup Stingray 5.
  15. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I voted for MTD. I love how these basses look and sound. I don't own one; but from what I've seen and heard, Mike is the master.

Another bass I would be interested in if I had the money would be a Zon.

16. flange

Feb 22, 2005
    Cochrane Alberta
    Dingwall amazing tone and Bstring second would be the f bass
  17. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    If I had the cash I would buy an Fbass. I've visited the website a few times and I got the hint that they're very 'articulate' as you put it. As far as fretboard material goes maple is going to give you a nice warm, and round tone, I guess like Fender? and the ebony is going to give you more growl and clearer highs. Based on what you said you're looking for I would go with the ebony.

Have fun spending a couple thousand dollars...I wish I could... :meh:
  18. +1 on the Dingwall
  19. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
  20. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Pre-EB MM Stingray, white, maple. What can I say? I'm a simple teenager.