Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fruity, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Ok.. I'm quite new to bass, I recently got a Fender Jazz Bass MIJ and no amp as yet. I'm looking for a combo and I have £250. I know nothing about bass amps. Please help.

2. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Any suggestions?

3. e.maynard

e.maynard

Nov 11, 2004
    Afton, Virginia
    SWR Basic Black - eBay
    Behringer Combo of some sort - M.F.
    G.K. 400RB & a 1 x 15 Cab.

All cheap, all should keep you going for a good while.

4. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    I was looking at the Behringer BX1200 and the Gallien-Krueger Backline 112, which is better? Behringers super cheap..

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nuff said.

You probably want to give people a little more info. What's your price range, what kind of music do you play, what kind of playing situation are you going to be in (home, stage, jamming with friends) etc.

I'm not going to be much help with a combo suggestion, but if people have more to work with you'll get more precise suggestions.

6. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Thanks, makes sense. I play different stuff, but mostly indie, electro, some drum&bass and funk, so a versatile amp would be great if possible. I'll be using the amp to jam with friends, but I don't play in a band as yet. Anything upto £250, maby £300.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    UK, Scotland, Ireland, or Australia?

Location is important too... :)

8. Fruity

Fruity

Sep 18, 2005
    UK, Scotland
    Scotland, lol.

9. dont buy behringer stuff unless you need an amp for a large gig super fast. you will find behringer stuff just looses any value, but if you do go down the rout of behringer dont get metal cones they sound bas get paper cones. ashdown do nice bass amps and they look cool 2! ebay is always the best for bass amps. :)

10. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Very versital. Super cheap on the used market. (The head) and will probably suit you for a while. Buy the head on ebay and the cab local.

Good Luck!

11. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    +1 for the SWR basic black (once voted Bass Player's best amp available under $1000). They can be found for 250 to 300 now. Tube front end with solid state power section. Versatile tone-wise, lighter than many others and loud enough for small venue gigs.

12. What ever you decide on, get used. Your tastes will change . Most used stuff goes for aprox 1/2 of new. That way you can try more stuff and maybe loose 10-15% instead of 50% :D