Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass body wood has best lows?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Jul 11, 2001.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i say alder but only because its the only wood that i can get a deep low tone from without adding it with eq and even then its usually still weak

2. i personally feel that mahogany is deepest when used as a body wood... good when combined with a maple top, etc.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    In my opinion, Alder has great lows with growly midrange.
    Mahogany has very warm lows with good Low midrange.
    But to me , the best lows come from harder woods, like Ovangkol Bubinga, etc.
    This woods dont have much midrange but offer a lot of Tight lows.

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'd go with Alder for the most punchy lows, but I love the sound of Bubinga and Ovangkol for the growl and deep, solid sound they put out :).

-FSR

5. It's got to be bubinga. The bubinga Warwicks I've played have the biggest low end I've ever heard.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just like basses, amps, and music, I don't think there is a "best." Just different.

Unfortunately, one of best woods for lows is also one of the crummiest, in terms of hardness and durability - basswood. It has dark, warm lows, (until your finger punches a hole through its soft wood).

Cocobolo combined with California claro walnut is what is chose for my body woods on a custom. The cocobolo has a very strong low end and the claro walnut balances it with clear mids and highs. Regular black walnut with its articulate lows would have "fought" with the cocobolo's lows, IMO. Sometimes more is less.

Shedua is noted for deep lows.

Luis and Funkslap mentioned bubinga and that's certainly a good choice---deep, defined, lows. Zebrawood, too, but not as defined.

Alder has well defined lows, but somehow, with all of its sweetness and warmth, the lows just don't sound as deep and rich to me.

That's all good in theory. But the wood thickness, the luthier's skill, the finish, and how the wood was dried can make or break the tone.

7. Maybe I'm just a simple country boy, but how about.......

ASH......swamp ASH......northern ASH........your sister's ash, I don't care.........just make it ASH for crying out loud (like a baby with a nasty diaper).

An ASH G&L L-2000 will make you create a nasty diaper!

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    my preference goes for mahogany
    and then swamp ash followed by alder