what bass brand is best suited to me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by terms bassist, May 28, 2001.

1. Hey
    I've got a problem, I'm looking for a new bass. something top of the rang. I've already got an ibanez SR 405, so I want something better, and I don't know whether to stick with the soundgears and just get a better model, or move on to another brand. I've looked at warwick but they seem to be more for funky bass players (well that's the impression I've got) , so I'm not really interested in basses that will sound good in that style of music. I'm looking more for a bass which would be suited to alternative hard rock (eg Creed,foo Fighters, deftones etc).Is anyone in the same situation or does anyone have any advice for me?
  2. Sam Rivers of Limp Bizkit plays a Warwick, and Limp Bizkit is clasified under those areas.

Chi from the Deftones plays a Fender American P Deluxe, Guy from Creed (the one that quit) played a Fender American P series, i dont know what the Foo Fighters guy played.

You didnt lable what amount of money you wanted to spend though. All of these basses will run you at least $900
  3. My price range is from $1000- $2000 Australian so I'm not sure what that is American $ or anything. but yeah the sky's really the limit I want something really good
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i suggest you not to look what others play, even if they are famous and you like them. each bass sound different in each bassplayer hand. otherwise i suggest you to collect the biggest experience possible trying, even for a little time, every bass you see around. make your own idea and don't pay a lot of attention to what other guys, me first say. not because we are liar, just because we have different way of playing. just as example, i love p basses, i never had one, but i'd love to have one. most of my fav bass heroes played p basses so i was influenced and started to search for a p bass. i played a lot of fender p basses and i was always not completely satisfied. this means that maybe the p bass unluckly is not for me, even if i'd love to find one. but this doesn't absoultely mean that p basses are ****.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's very close to $500-$1000USD.

An American Precision, a Czech Spector, or a Music Man could be in your range if you find a good deal or talk someone down a little. Any of those could fit your needs quite nicely from the sound of it.

You also say "sky's the limit" after you mention price range. If that is true, take a look at Modulus, MTD, Fender American Jazz, Pedulla, and Zon.
  6. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
  7. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

Check out the new fender line of p-basses, that should give you the sound for what you play,
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There is no bass for any stle of music. You have to be the judge. Play as many basses as you can in your price range & I'm sure you'll find the right one for you. As for my sugestions in your price range:

1-Spector NS-2000 neck thru
    2-Ibanez BTB-400
    3-Dean Rhapsody
    4-Any Fender MIA

The list is endless. You need to find the one that speaks to your heart soul & most importantly, your ear.

Good luck in your search.
  9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For your kind of music, I'd recommend a Stingray 5. It's got the right tone and look, and it can take a beating. Don't know what they run in Oz; in the US, they're around $1200 off the rack.
  10. rickbass

You forgot he's in Australia.
  11. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I thought that if someone buys a bass for $2000-$3000, 50 or 100 Dollars of shipping won´t be the problem.
  12. Tomo

May 29, 2001
    Though it is your choice so you should try play on everything until you like it :) i have played and take quite a big fancy into these 3.

1) Music man stingray
    2)G&L 1500
    3) Gibson thunderbird
    all look pretty cool and play ze "beesknees" asthey say :). Everclear uses the gibson and the Gl, Ash the gibson, greenday musicman, if thats of any importance
  13. rickbass

Cost of shipping isn't the issue (although it would be quite high). There are several factors to consider.

- A bass shipped from NY (Sadowsky) or NC (Pushic), isn't going to be put in an entire, protective, cargo bin/box like a shipment of Ashdowns. That thing is going to take a beating. With neck-throughs like DP's, the instrument is mortally wounded if anything happens to the neck. His SKB cases cost $75 above the gig bag that are included in the price. But a case isn't even enough for shipping within the US many times. I know of US residents who have received their Carvin orders, only to open the box and find, virtually, toothpicks.

- Custom design features can necessitate a scanner. For instance, I don't have a scanner, so I had to snail mail Dave with the body design I drew and the inlay designs I want.

- The biggie - If you have a business there are certain governmental hoops you must jump through, ($$$), before you can engage in international trade.

So, I omitted the custom choices for the above reasons, among others.
  14. I really like Warwicks. Their tone cuts really well, so you won't have a problem being heard, but that might not be what you want. A Fender P-bass Deluxe might be more your style. Beware of the huge neck, though.
  15. I haven't been playing bass all that long, bout a year and 3 months, but I think you are probably going to want something like a Fender or MusicMan Stingray? they are both really solid basses and will stand up to a fair bit of punishment on stage, and they sound really nice.

The American Fender Jazz Deluxe that someone suggested would be well and truly out of the price range (they run about AUS $4000-$4500).

Another option, is, believe it or not, a Yamaha TRB series. You might think, "yamaha? yeah right", but they actually sound really nice, look really nice, and can also take a pounding on stage. Tony Kanal from No Doubt uses one and he is one of the most physical bass players I've ever seen. They run about $2200 brand new I think.

oh yeah, I'm from Canberra so all the prices are Australian.

If I had that kinda money, I think I would go with a Stingray 4, or perhaps a Warwick Corvette or something similar.