What bass builder has your favorite neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 5, 2004.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Greeting Friends

What bass builder has the most comfortable bass neck you have ever played and maybe own now. For my bass playing needs i would say the Sadowsky 5 string bass neck has been the most comfortable for me and my big hands, i have yet to play any bass that feels as good to me.
  2. The basses with the best necks I've played would have to be Roscoe and Surine. My old Peavey Cirrus was also pretty nice.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like the Steinbergers. P-Bass spacing, but DEEP.
  4. Warwick
    And Fender Fretless
  5. i still remember playing a warrior once that had a severely comfortable neck. the peavey cirrus is also quite nice. i also like the musicman sterling neck, as well as the warwick infinity LTD 2000.

6. Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    The asymmetrical necks on Tobias basses is the best necks I´ve ever played. I guess Michael Tobias still uses this shape on his necks, so I would say his name as an answer. I haven´t been able to play a MTD-bass yet though. Wish I could...
  7. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I just recently aquired a Warrior Armed Soldier 4 that has one of if not the best neck Ive ever felt!!!!
    Something about a 12 inch radius, which makes it flatter than most necks i believe??? (also the Satin Mahogany/Purpleheart combo really gives it an overall warmth that I completely dig)
    - Tom
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Fender J and P necks.

10. Without a doubt, the neck on my Reverend Rumblefish is the most comfortable neck I have ever played. Felt broken-in right from the get-go, because of the rolled fingerboard edges. It's so good, I had Greg Curbow take its exact measurements for the neck of the bass he built for me.
  11. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I have never played a Pre-Ernie Ball, yet my '92 EB Stingray is "home" to me. The Stingray is wide, fat and nasty--the way I like it. My 92' has the gloss back that slows you down just enough for playing rock and funk.

2nd choice would be a Precision bass. There are so many variations on the Fender P-Bass theme, and my second favorite is the Early to Mid-90s Fender American Standard P-Bass necks before they offered maple and the rolled edges.

I have that Warwick LTD 2000 and it is a nice neck.
  13. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    even though i love my Pedulla Thunderbass T5, I'm a huge fan of the Stringray 5 necks, with their matte finish, thin height(?), and oval profile, it feels good to me, and I wish i could find a graphite neck that feels similiar these days.
  14. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
  15. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Alembic 4 string... ahhhhhh :)

Anyone into flat necks, thats what i go for.
  17. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

G&L #6 (1.5" nut width, 7.5" freboard radius)

It's the G&L take on a "vintage jazz" neck. Other "jazz necked" basses I've tried just aren't quite the same and arent' quite as comfortable to me.

I've got to wait at least another 3 weeks on my Reverend as they lost an employee and it set them back. Gosh darn it!
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Spector: wide-ish, and chunky
    Pedulla: wide and sleek, immenently fast
    Roscoe: Beefy, but fast and comfy
    FBB: Unique D profile, chunky, but very "home" feeling, if that makes any sense
    Curbow: Fastest neck alive.

Other than those consistent ones, I've enjoyed basses on a case by case basis. Those, however, are basses I know I can pick up pretty much any one, and be in love.

(Note, under the provision the 4s be at least P spacing at the nut, and 5s are at least 1 and 7/8ths" at the nut, which most, conviently, are.)
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

MTD 535.

Easy question to answer. I don't know if it's the asymmetrical profile or not, but as I've said a dozen times it's like Mike made it for my hands. My hands are barely average size, btw.