1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass can I get for around $450 at most?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xSkawesome, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Currently, I'm looking at an Epiphone Thunderbird, Fender Modern Player (Jazz or Precision) Bass, and possibly an Ibanez bass. I'm open to all suggestions and criticisms! If you know of any good deals on websites or at stores I'd love to hear. Currently my best bass is a Dean Custome Zone Bass to give you a perspective on what I have and need.

( http://www.amazon.com/Dean-Custom-Z...d=1382403819&sr=1-3&keywords=dean+custom+zone )

2. a_ribbon

a_ribbon

Apr 10, 2008
    those are all very different basses. what are your tone goals? do you know what kind of neck you prefer? you should really go to a shop and play as many basses as you can in your price range to see what it is you like the best.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    You can get better value for your money if you look for used basses on Craigslist. I've found quite a few there. Also, check out the basses for sale here on TalkBass.
    Reason for recommending used basses over new is that they're broken in, and in a lot of cases, has been adjusted for the right intonation etc. Of course you'll find junk as well, but there are also a lot of gems out there that you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford new. You can also look at Guitar Center website for used basses. It doesn't matter where in the country the bass is located, they'll ship it out to you for about $20-25. I've gotten about 12 basses through them that I can't find anywhere where I live (like the Ergodyne basses which they don't even make anymore- check out the Ibanez EDA900 for example, prices are about $250 used on GC) the picture attached is a bass I bought online at GC for $210 inclusive of shipping and tax. It's an Ibanez EDA905.

The ideal bass for you is really dependent on what kind of music you play and best I can recommend is to go and try some out at any store. You can do a lot with $450 if you look hard enough.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yes, we need some details. What kind of music you gonna play? What type of tone do you want? Ibanez makes some really good basses in that price range. Check out the ATK series, probably a 300, the ATK's are very versatile and can be used in many genres. Of course there's Squier too. You can buy a $150 squier and spend another $100 on a really good set of pups and drop them in there for an awesome bass. There's a lot out there in that are in that price range especially used. Do some research on here and other sites. $450 can get you a really nice bass.

5. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Looked at your profile, I think any bass could do the type of music you enjoy...in my mind, I'm thinking a used P or J would be your best all round bet...if you like skinny necks, Ibanez is the way to go, but it would likely be active...
    So I suggest deciding if you want an active or passive bass, and then deciding if you like a skinny neck or a chunkier neck...once you decide that, then pick your brand and model...then keep your eyes out on the classified's here for a used one.
    I have bought a few used here, and they are frequently "like new"
    People here are more honest about flaws, and more realistic with the price, so IMO you'd be less likely to be disappointed.
    That's my 2 cents

6. I play mostly Art Rock, psychadelic Rock, Rock in general including punk and a little metal. I like playing extremely creative music. On the long of Queens of the Stone Age's style I guess. Thank you for helping me out by the way!

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Other thing I should mention, also good to see if a 5 string might suit your bass playing. Hitting lower notes than what you can't do on a normal 4 string bass can be a boon to one's creativity. I had the bass that you currently have at one point, loved the uniqueness but playability was so-so.. so you can definitely get a better playing bass for that $450. One bass I try to keep an eye out for every now and then is a Washburn BB4 with tremolo. Imagine the possibilities with a tremolo!

8. I was thinking about a five string actually! And I believe I'd probably like passive pick ups better and the neck wouldn't make much of a difference on my choice. Possibly a thinner neck because I like playing faster.

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Five string basses are great to have and hit that note that reverberates through everyone. lol.... Some 5 string basses with slim necks... Ibanez, Cort Curbow (neat funky looking bass with small body and super slim, very fast neck alas, it's active) , Tobias Toby (inexpensive but very playable, nice neck)...quite a lot out there within your price range. nice bass on the post above!
    Attached is a pic of a used Curbow (5 string) also at GC.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-CORT-CURBOW-5-STRING-BASS-109266814-i3278584.gc

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

In that case, me, I'd go squier/fender. It's hard to best the playability, tone (depending on what pups are in it) and simplicity. Just this guys opinion. What brands/basses have you tried before??

12. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    The really good news is that with a budget of $450, you should have no problem finding a very high quality bass if you're willing to buy used.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
  14. Well I started playing in grade school and now I'm a senior in highschool so I don't have too many basses but I've played a Spencer as my first bass, a Squier Jazz Bass as my second and currently I am playing a Dean Custom Zone Bass (I put a link to it on the first post)

15. @Maxdusty I'm going to really consider that bass.

16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    If you really dig QotSA, you definitely need to look into P basses; a P bass was used to record the entirety of their newest record.

Passive P's also respond very well to a wide variety of effects in my experience, particularly fuzz and distortion.

A 5 string P might be difficult to find in that pride range, but definitely start by checking out the classifieds section here on TB.

You'll get exponentially more bass for your money buying used! :bassist:

17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
  18. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    a heavy one with dead spots!

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    WELCOME to TalkBass aSkawesome! You're in good hands here. Lots of good advice.

One other thing. Where are you geographically speaking(roughly). There are thousands of us here and we may know of local deals near you.

20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's a little "outside the box", but I'd recommend testing out a Fender Blacktop Jazz, if you can find a place that has one. Basically, it's an MIM Jazz bass with a pair of Precision pickups in lieu of Jazz pickups. You can get a pretty-damn-close, if not spot-on, P-bass sound by rolling off the bridge pickup. But when you start adding it back in you get a very aggressive, even downright mean sound (re: punk & metal).

They usually go for $500 brand-new (I know, a little above your budget), but usually get a small discount when Fender does their big sales. That or you might be able to haggle them down to your target budget, depending on where you shop. And that's not counting anyone selling a used one.

Oh, and by the way Maxdusty; I think someone left your Ibanez out in the sunÂ…it's all melty now. :D