1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass..Carvin XB75p, P Bass 5 Deluxe, Sandberg jj 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Been offered a few basses in a trade...does anyone have any experiences with either of these three....

im loving the Carvin, but im not sure of the tone...are they versatile basses? What are the electronics like? i dont play rock...

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I jyst received my first Carvin bass. Its a 2001 LB75P so its fairly close to the one you are considering. I am really impressed with it so far. The ebony fingerboard is a gorgeous thick slab, the workmanship is overall very good and the tone is great. I am a Stingray single pickup kind of guy so the big humbucker in the bridge position sounds fantastic to me. the j99 single coil in the neck position sounds quite sweet as well. I love the fact that you can use the bass in passive mode my pulling up the volume knob.

The bass was easy to set up, has a great feel, plays like a dream, is light as a feather and seems to be built very well with nice woods. The hardware is good and i really have no complaints. Hope that helps a bit.

3. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    yes it did thanks Crabby...this is the bass in question...lovely Koa top matching headstock..piezo..

4. OMG a Sandberg JJ 5... This is a no-brainer SANDBERG ALL THE WAY!

5. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I get the feeling that the Carvin may give me a wider tonal range than the Sandberg..i would like a nice gospel tone that really cuts through..

anymore opinions on the Carvin?

6. Based on what I've played and heard, the opposite would be more accurate. The Carvin LB76PW that I had a while back was probably the worst sounding bass that I've ever owned. It always sounded dead no matter what I did to change it. I'm convinced that it was a dud but I can't imagine any Carvin stacking up to my Sandberg. My friend who actually convinced me to try Carvin had a LB70 that sounded great but my Sandberg still beats it in both tone and tonal versatility.

That said we're looking at 2 different Sandbergs. You want a JJ and I have an MM custom so their bound to sound different but I can't say how. But I can almost garuantee you'll get a sweet instrument. I will say that mine kills on gospel stuff.

Sandbergs aren't too common around here especially the customs so this thread is bound to have more Carvin supporters. As such here are a bunch of vids that I hope will sway your decision :). The first 2 are actually me. the playing ain't the greatest but I love the tone.

Me on Tale Spin (pups on JJ mode)- http://vimeo.com/7050892

Me on Oodalay-O -

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Nice. I used to have an LB70PF that I dug. The MM/J/piezo setup gives you a lot of options. Carvins don't have a distinct tone and they aren't exciting by themselves but seem to fit very well in a mix. My old LB75 (with the H50s) had a very piano like tone that was great for recording.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Deluxe P, but it's a nice bass and Sandbergs are very nice.

As a side note, the only Carvin I still own is a B4 that I've swapped out the pickups and preamp in. FWIW, trying the old pickups with the new pre I've found that the standard Carvin pickups are fine. If there's a weakness with their electronics IMO it's the preamp. Swapping it for an Aguilar changed that bass completely.

Good luck!

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Thats a sweet looking bass. I admittedly know nothing about Sandbergs but am quite impressed with my LB75p which looks a lot like the one you are interested in.