What bass did the player from Garbage use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Apr 16, 2005.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Maybe this belongs in bassists, and if it does sorry guys!

"I would die for you" came up in my play list this afternoon by both the punch and growl that the players tone has, almost P-bassish, but a little too growly. Any ideas?
    Give that track a listen, highly underrated band that sort of disappeared1
  2. Hey man - a profile in Bass Player mag has him saying he recorded most of the parts with a MM Sabre, a two pickup version of a Stingray.Sounds like this is the bass yer after although to my knowledge they havent been made for quite a while.Basspalace.com have 2 for sale.
  3. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

huh, that is interesting! Would not have been my guess, but I suppose that makes a lot of sense. I am not sure the Sabre is a two PU version of this Stingray is it?
  4. Yeah just checked the site I mentioned.They actually have 3 on there and they are all 2 pu versions - very nice.Dunno why they still dont make em.
  5. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I'd imagine the Bongo is very similar in a lot of ways.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Firstly, it's "#1 Crush". :smug:

That's true, but the quote is a little out of context - the full quote from the issue in front of me says "On many of his studio dates Daniel (Shulman) used a 1980 Music Man Sabre - an early, two-pickup 4-string similar to the StingRay - but with Garbage his main axe is an active Fender Precision Deluxe. He has also begun playing a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5-string."

I can certainly see the P-Deluxe with it's massive bridge humbucker sounding like a Sabre and adding the "growl" to the track, but we're also operating under the assumption that Daniel recorded the part. He became Garbage's de facto bassist after their first tour, and with a copyright date of 1995 it's entirely possible that the track was a leftover from the first album's sessions, and that the bass track was recorded by either guitarist Steve Markes or studio bassist Mike Kashou, both of which are credited with bass tracks on the first album.

...but it's still one hell of a line, isn't it? :D

Edit: removed J-bass from the possibilities, as the article was written well after the recording and therefore doesn't fit the timeframe. It's 5-string range also doesn't narrow it down as well, as the line can be played on a four in dropped-D.
  7. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Well dang it!
    We are on a quest here folks!
    So now the question becomes, who played the line!