What Bass did You Play on 1st Gig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJazz, May 19, 2007.

1. CJazz

CJazz

May 28, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Playas,

I got a question...where was your first bass gig and what style of music and what bass did you play. I ask this question because I was visiting my local Sam Ash here in Cleveland and one of the guys that I know there took my name and number.

He seems to get asked alot to play but he can't be everywhere at once. I am a hobbyest when it comes to my playing and I thnk that I have some chops...but I was wondering how it was for the rest of you.

Anything that yu can share would be great! :bassist:

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My first gig...that would be my Ibanez BTB405QM at a pub playing Shadows covers. It was with the Shadows club, basically everyone bring a guitar and give us a song or two, and of course, being players of the same material themselves, they were bound to be the most critical audience. However, it went down excellently, and that same club would see my Kubicki's first live show, at least in my hands!

3. BassChase

BassChase

Nov 22, 2006
    first gig...
    rocked the school talent show. rocked my ESP-254 so damn hard.

we played blink 182.
    but we made it work. i jumped off stage, and broke my bass. the rest of the song was bass-free.

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My first gig was at the Emerson Theatre in Indianapolis, IN. I was with my first band and I had been playing bass for about a year. I used my first bass (only bass back then! :p) which was a BC Rich Innovator 4 string. We played original thrash metal. :bassist:

5. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    My first gig was at the Bitter End in NYC. I belong to a studio club that puts groups together for performance nights once or twice a month. I played a 57 p bass that I ordered from Ishibashi a couple of years ago. It was a blues band that I played with.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I bassed my first gig on??? It was only 2 1/2 yrs ago and I can't remember!

Oh I remember now - a '97 Fender American Deluxe V. That was a sweet bass. Oh how it was.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

First gig? A Guild medium scale that sorta looked like an EB-3. This was at a teen club where the whole band got like $100.

First real gig? 1978 Fender Precision. That was back in '79 or '80.

8. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    the first bass I played a gig with was my first bass: an Ibanez gsr 190 (the one that comes in the starter pack). We played a Green Day song (blegh...).

I've since upgraded to a Carvin IC5

9. Sadowsky standard 4 for my first real bass gig

In college I was playing guitar in bands and played a Squier P for a few songs that our bass player couldn't play AND sing at the same time

10. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    My first gig was on a Hohner Jack headless bass (Status copy), with a Puerto Rican band, doing traditional latin stuff. That was a tough gig ... challenging rhythms, and I had only been playing bass for less than a year (played guitar for 5 years before that though). We opened for Noel Redding at my very first gig! Strange combination of styles, but it was a cool and memorable first gig.

Liam

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
  12. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    1968-tele-bass.

13. JJP_1984_LB50

JJP_1984_LB50 Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    North Canton, OH
    A Cortez Jazz copy. I'd never seen one before or since then. This was summer of 1982. We played outside at a party, doing AC/DC, Judas Priest, Scorpions, etc...

14. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hummm that's going way back. I had a Cushanelli? hollow body and we played an after hours show at the Hullaballo in Hollywood. It was great it was a full house because it was rumored George Harrison was coming to check out another band on the bill. All went well and they asked us to come back.

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hmm.. I was playing my Univox P-Bass (70's) at church, and I was approached to play some metal from a few people who came to church. I could consider church the first gig, but that was the first time i was in a 'band'.

It was fun playing those tunes and I learned a lot. But the bass did not work long term. I ended up with an Ibanez SR400 later that year for Christmas. And I was never happy with that bass either.

16. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    mine would be a 70's jazz clone (the kind you see with various names like Columbus, Zenta, Aria etc.) but the nameplate had fallen off so ill never know

the music was hardcore punk/grindcore and we played for an hour opening for a popular local hair metal band

scared the sh** out of them and their audience

good times
    cheers
    Lucy

17. A few years back now, but it was a '96 MIM Jazz, set list was Undertones - Teenages Kicks, Green Day - Basket Case and Free - Wishing Well.

18. this :
    Cimg0736.jpg

19. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    That was a loooooong time ago, but I do believe it was a Ric 4001 in Jetglo (black)...

20. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had already gigged as a sax player in a band with older guys.
    First gig on bass, was in 1989 I was still in high school. I remember it was a house party, my bass was a VMI Sebring P Bass copy, and we were paid of course with free beer!
    We played just about every song from The Specials, and Jane's Addiction.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021