Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what bass do i have

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Mar 5, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ok, what's the difference between the 2000 model hot-rodded p-bass(american standard), and the 2001 series. the specs are exactly the same. i just don't know which one i got. any help would be great.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I think the 2001 model has a slightly faster (thinner) neck. I think that's about the only diff.

3. try going to a fender site that has forums and post the serial # and see what they say

4. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    great thinkin' dude

5. :D thanks

6. Hi ryanm....

Have you been able to date your bass yet? Serial No's are not necessarily a good dating tool. If you're up to the task, unbolt the neck and check under the base....

[​IMG]

7. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    well, i went to a fender forum and they dated it a 99. so, i guess i'll live with that. thanks all.

8. Xavier got wood! hehehe

9. nothing wrong with a 99, i have a 2000 and its like yours, i think the change came late 2000.
    played a 2001 at GC and i couldn't feel any diference. but then again i don't play my jazz a ton.
    felt the same to me.