1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what bass do i have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hell_yes, May 6, 2005.

1. hell_yes

hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Florida
    ok... before you all jump on the new guy... i did search this whole forum and i wasn't able to find exactly what i needed.

i'm trying to figure out exactly what bass i have. it was given to me about 3 years ago (brand new) and the little booklet says it's a 1998. it is identical to a fender p-bass deluxe special... but the headstock says it's MIA. in addition, the neckplate says corona california.

it came with a fender molded hardshell case... and i think those only come with the american models... although i could be wrong.

throughout my searches, i have come to find that the p-bass deluxe special is MIM... that's where i'm confused.

Thank you guys for your help.

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    There was a model in the later 90's that was the Precision Special, but was called a California P-Special. I think it had the same parts as the MIM, but was assembled in California.

Does the bridge string thru the body? If so, then it could be the Hot-Rodded Precision bass. That one was American made.

Hope this helps, and if I'm wrong some one will be along shortly to set it straight!

3. hell_yes

hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Florida
    yes, the bridge does string through the body.

thank you