what bass do i have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hell_yes, May 6, 2005.

1. hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    ok... before you all jump on the new guy... i did search this whole forum and i wasn't able to find exactly what i needed.

i'm trying to figure out exactly what bass i have. it was given to me about 3 years ago (brand new) and the little booklet says it's a 1998. it is identical to a fender p-bass deluxe special... but the headstock says it's MIA. in addition, the neckplate says corona california.

it came with a fender molded hardshell case... and i think those only come with the american models... although i could be wrong.

throughout my searches, i have come to find that the p-bass deluxe special is MIM... that's where i'm confused.

Thank you guys for your help.
  2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    There was a model in the later 90's that was the Precision Special, but was called a California P-Special. I think it had the same parts as the MIM, but was assembled in California.

Does the bridge string thru the body? If so, then it could be the Hot-Rodded Precision bass. That one was American made.

Hope this helps, and if I'm wrong some one will be along shortly to set it straight!
  3. hell_yes

May 6, 2005
    Orlando, Fl
    yes, the bridge does string through the body.

thank you