1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass do you play?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rudeboy, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Rudeboy

Rudeboy

Jun 10, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Just because i'm curious, for either gigs or just when you're sitting around the house playing, which bass do you reach for? Is it one that you made or bought?

When you're playing gigs in public do you purposely play or not play one of your own creations?

I'm just kinda curious. For me personally (probably just because its the bass I learned on) my Washburn T24 is the most comfortable bass i've ever played and i'm trying to make the bass i'm working on now feel as close to it as I can so that i'll actually want to pay it. (and, if it turns out nice, i'll want to be that arrogant guy who shows it off every chance he gets on stage)

2. Jonsbasses

Jonsbasses

Oct 21, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Builder: Jon's Basses
    Good question. When I have the cash I plan on building my own gig beater bass. Until then, I use my Ibanez SR406. I'm afraid to bring any of my other basses.

3. torkelboy

torkelboy

Feb 24, 2008
    I play my Ibanez sr760 wherever i go, gig or practice at home! I'm having trouble falling for any other bass since the neck of my sr760 is so thin every other bass i try feels like 100y old oak. :D:D

Ofcourse there are other basses i would love, but i have not come across one so far!

4. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Fender Precision(s).
    Bought them.
    Either the Four or a Five-String.
    It's all I have, and suits my size and style.

5. Why is this post in the Luthier section?

6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy

Jun 10, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    because i was really curious about the luthiers,

whether they prefer to play their own creations over others

7. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    My Yamaha RBX-170

Seeing how it is my only bass.

8. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    +1 for the T-24

Great bass, solid construction and one of the most comfortable necks I've ever wrapped my left hand around.

9. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    I never had basses which are not made by myself ;)

my first wasn't really good to play (but sounded relly good) but the third one is what I'm using everywhere for 3 years now.

edit: the first (I almost forgot it) was an old used (GUITAR!!!) neck with a self-made body. the second was my first REAL bass, made all by myself. the short-scale minibass (5 string... my god... why the heck?!?!? :) ) didn't sound good at all :D

10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I use mine exclusively for gigs, regular playing at home and recording, but I do play a few other builders machines on occasion. :)
    I do feel it's my duty at this point for promotional reasons, to play or as I like to call it "endorsing" my own brand. :)
    Dirk

11. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    It depends on the moment. I play a Takamine acoustic electric lots. My collection includes an Alembic and a LP Triumph, both of which are great instruments. But I do play my own builds a lot.

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    lately it's been this - one of my first self finished bodies

VRB08401N_Front_TortPickguard.

nothing fancy, just an Alder body wrapped in nitro + Maple/Rosewood neck + Nordy NP-4 + the usual hardware and controls

before that it was my black Darkstar loaded P ... before that it was my '51P influenced Darkstar P ... and before that ....

as you can see, the bass I pick up the most is one I've built and held on to - unless it's one for the past that I recently dug out of storage and have rekindled my love for. when I was still actively playing out I would bring a build that was ready for customer delivery and give it a thurough shake down for a set. if everything was up to par I'd clean it up and ship it out the following day

I like to play my own basses because of the 'improvements' I've made to some of the classic designs. I like to really get to know how a certain new change I've experimented with impacts playability and sound.

at the same time I also like to play other basses so I can appreciate what other builders are doing - by playing their work, I somehow feel like I know them beyond just some glossy ad in a magazine. by playing their work I get to see how they brought details together for their interpretation of what a bass should be ... and by playing their different works over time I get to learn how they are moving in their skill and craftsmanship ... sadly, in some cases I see no change from some builders and I'm left to wonder if they think they've achieved their personal perfection of if they've fallen into a routine of marketing a sure thing (having left their art and dreams behind in the quest for financial achievement)

all the best,

R

13. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I play basses that someone else has built only because I haven't been brave enough to attempt building one of my own. I thought about trying one of the Carvin kits or a Warmoth, but I really need to work on my soldering and painting skills before I jump in to one.

14. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I put together a P bass with Fender parts but I haven't really made my own bass yet.

The one I reach for is a Sadowsky 24-5 P/J.

I spend most of my time on a Loriente cedar top classical.

15. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I spent a large amount of my time gigging on a Cort Curbow 4 with an OBP-3 installed... when I was playing bass, anyway. I'm guessing you don't want to hear about guitars or keyboards... ;)

16. SDH

SDH

Mar 3, 2008
    Hi! Newbie here. I've owned several different basses over the years, but this is the one that I play the most. It was built from parts by me and a friend. The neck is hard rock maple with a rosewood slab. The headstock was a paddle, so it was cut it into that all so famliar shape. Made a decal with my "logo" on the printer and sealed it with clear poly and sealed the neck with Tru-Oil. The neck has a smaller profile than my old Fender PB and I find it easier to play. The body is basswood and finished with automotive paint and I used Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups. It's pretty much what you'd call a bouncy bass! Anyway, I hope to stick around a bit and learn a few new things from you folks. (Teach the old dog some new tricks.) ;)
    -Dan

Attached Files:

17. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    then how did you pick up bass playing, if you staryted out building them? usually someone learns how to play, then somehow the idea pops into their head to try their hand at making one.

18. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    one thing i don't get, is when someone spends a wad on a nice ass fender or something, and doesn't gig with it at all "well i don't want risk damaging it playing live". so what, they only use the good stuff as practice basses, and bring out the nothing special budget basses for all the gigs? W T F. i mean seriously. bring me some of those people. i will whip out a pocket knife and carve "You are an idiot" on the back. worthy enough to play live with now?
    well i hope i can make a bass good enough to show off. if so, she's going gigging:bassist:

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I have 14 basses ... 13 are 5 string and one is a 10 string ... when I gig I like to use a Rickenbacker ... but around the house I like to my some of the basses that I built like this ...

fb5%20044.

b-strat%20022.

Bass5-0022.

:bassist:

20. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    ohhh! a natural finish 5 string fenderbird. i love it. also really digging that maple quilt on bass number 2:bassist: