Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass do you think I should get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davygravy3, May 13, 2001.

1. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey everyone! I have a few questions about what bass (my second) you would prefer/recommend. I am almost 14 and have nearly been playing bass for 2 years. My mom got me the Squier P-bass package and I have been playing in the school jazz band, and I plan on intending to. We play some fun stuff, and some rather interesting music, but all are mostly Jazz or "Oldies" but hey I like em and humm them in the middle of class :) I feel that I want a new amp and a new bass. I would like to start a band and maybe play somewhere playing some music, that we did not make but learned to play. i.e. the beatles, or some Jazz. I'd rather do Jazz simply because of the fact that its more challenging and I could have some of my jazz band buddies play with me.

So I obviously want a jazz bass, and most likely a 4 string. My parents agreed to split the cost of the bass with me, and I found the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass at www.music123.com for arounds $770 which is in our price range, I do not want to exceed $1000. Which I thought would be really a good choice saying the list is about $400 more. I have also been looking into the American Standard jazz bass which go for around/about the same as the Marcus Miller. I am not sure what to get, I know I want a Fender Jazz Bass, I'm positive it must be a FENDER, hehehe. So what do you suggest, another kind, five string, etc.

Also I was looking at a 60 watt amp which is plenty big I think I am looking at the Fender bassman or the BXR any ideas? Thanks for all the help.

2. Just play the Marcus Miller and the MIA and see which you like better. For jazz a 60 watt would work if you have a quiet drummer. However, I have never been pleased with Fender amps. The best low powered combo IMHO are the Ampeg BA-115 or the Rocket 100. Both are 100 watts and around $400-425 new. Both are rather mellow (the rocket being very mellow) and are pretty versitile.

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    steer away from the BXR60!

I had one until recently and the day a Fender Bassman100 replaced it I found out what was lacking in my tone all this time...tone!

the BXR has very thin sound and not a good one for sure.

if you want a fender amp, better stick to the Bassmans, I love mine and I love the HF horn which makes my slap and pop sound really crisp and clicky (I know the beatles and most jazz don't use that but versatility is a major factor to me).

botom line: don't waste money on the BXRs unless you tried them and you think they sound good (but only if you tried other amps pervious to checking these).

4. Don't go near the BXR 200! A bad investmnet that I made. The only problem is, I don't have the cash to replace it!

5. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Thanks for all the help on the amps guys. I was just saying BXR because that is what is in my Fender dealers store.

About the bass, MIA I am guessing is the American Standard? Also I was looking at the Marcus Miller Bass and it has this metal covering over the pick ups what is this for and do you play just to the left of it?

Also 4 string or 5 string?

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Mia Made in USA
    Mim Made in Mexico
    Mij Made in Japan

The metal thing has been put there so you can remove it.

I would personally stay away from any sig bass because longevity may be an issue affecting residual value. Simply, you get less when you trade it.

I would try a load of Jazz Basses side by side and get the one that 'speaks to you' I believe is the term. Also try other basses, I know you want a J but trust me try loads of stuff.

Make sure YOU are happy with your purchase. IF you fall in love with something a bit more expensive then I suggest you wait and save and ask the parents to put the amount they kindly offered to one side.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    RE 4 or 5 make dure that its right for you. I am not totally comfortable with a 5 although I do use one about 50% of the time.

8. Davygravy3

Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    You guys have been great, thanks for all the help.

I am pretty sure I will get a four string. I think it will be an American Standard Jazz Bass. They are about $750 so the price is not to bad saying I am splitting it with my parents, but I need an amp, could you tell me some bass amps you recommend, name of company and the basses specific name. I mean if you say, "Bx120 are great!" well what the heck do you mean.

BTW- CS I am pretty sure that American Standards are made in America at least that is what Frontline says.

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I can't find an American Standard Jazz Bass on Fender site. I can find:
    Artist series
    American vintage series
    American deluxe series
    American series
    Deluxe series
    Standard series

Whereof the two latter are definately not MIA.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The passive MIA (made in America) Jazz bass was called the American Standard by most people. Fender changed the names. For a passive four I'd check out both MIA and MIM (Mexico) models. If you're interested in the Marcus Miller you should probably check out the Deluxe models (MIM and MIA)... they're active with 3 band EQ instead of two like the Marcus Miller. I've had good luck with the MIA Jazz Deluxe 5's.

For amps, Ampeg BA-115 if you "need" a tweeter, B-100R (my choice) if you don't.

11. IMABASSDORK

IMABASSDORK

May 15, 2001
    MILLVILLE, NJ
    Meaningless immature post deleted by moderator

12. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    May I comment that this is one of the most intelligent "newbie -- which bass should I buy" threads I've ever seen.

At least the kid did a little homework first and has a rough idea of what he wants and what he wants to do with it.

Nice going, Davy, and welcome to TalkBass.

P.S. Don't forget to fill out your profile -- it's how we get to know you.

13. I agree, but also IMABASSDORK posted the least intelligent first post I´ve seen in a while!

unless of course they´re friends and then I understand those comments, but otherwise that was just plain stupid and had NO meaning at all!

14. Personally, I would go for the no-frills, passive American Standard/American Series Jazz. To me, that's what a Jazz bass should sound like.

If you're not hung up on buying a new bass, there are great deals on older American Standards to be had. The ones made since 1997 have the string-through-body bridge option, which I think is nice feature. The brand new ones are in your price range too.

There's a guy on the Fender Discussion Page (fenderforum.com) selling an almost new (2000) American Deluxe (active) Jazz for $650. It's an amazing deal if you want to go that route.

Good luck in your search!

15. IMABASSDORK

IMABASSDORK

May 15, 2001
    MILLVILLE, NJ
    :mad: More meaningless immature posting deleted by moderator

Ps i need a bass, i want a fender 5 string but i want one i can slap smoothly and still play some nice smooth jazz and advice is htere any better basses then fenders for what im looking for

16. The American Deluxe is mentioned above is also for sale right here on talkbass! Didn't mean to divert traffic...

17. how can two guys who are friends have such a disparity in intelligence levels? I bet Davy gets tired of having to explain things to his friend.

Davy, try out the Marcus Miller re-issue, it's a great bass. But you can't go wrong with either of your choices.

As far amps, I agree w/? about the BA-115 and Rocket B100-R. They're both great, just a little different. Personally, I like the retro look of the Rocket bass amp, especially if you're going to play jazz. But the tone of the BA-115 is probably a little better, and more versatile with the Style Selector and the Tilt-back design.

Rock on.

18. IMABASSDORK

IMABASSDORK

May 15, 2001
    MILLVILLE, NJ
    hey you can shut your face too!!! im 15 what do you expect anyways dave has a 52 in algebra

19. I expect you to have a little more respect for people who you are asking for advice.

20. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    HAHAHAHAHAA!!! This is funny.