1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHAT BASS DO YOU WISH YOU HAD BACK?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noeinstein, Nov 30, 2018.

1. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    What is the opposite of GAS? It's like breaking up with someone and then realizing s/he was The One. I have lots of very nice basses, but I can't stop wishing I had this one back. Fender AVRI '63 in Seminole (or Dakota) Red. How about you? Misery loves company....

Fender 63 AVRI.

2. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    My very first one: an 80's Peavey Foundation with a gorgeous swamp ash body and maple fingerboard. I've never seen another with an ash body like that.

I wouldn't trade any of my main basses today to get it back, but I sure would love to find one someday.

3. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    A 2006 Crafted In Japan Fender Jaguar, black/tort

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

The first “real” bass I ever bought. 1994 Stingray:
    DSC_0594.

Sold in 2012 to pay bills. Regretted selling ever since.

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Out of all the basses I've sold, I'd only love to get my old USA SUB back. I don't regret selling it because I've tried quite a few basses after, gained experience, realized what I really love, got a great 2 band Stingray just how I always wanted, but I'd still love to get it back.

music-man-b-made-in-usa-stingray-2-band-eq-aktivni-slika-83989199.

6. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I want that too!

7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    69 Jazz that I bought in HS for $400, sweet bass, who knew...

Glenn Mac and dannydabiker like this.
  8. noeinstein

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    I'd love to have a dollar for everything I thought I knew in HS, but didn't.

Rebel Rocker, mrb327, terrymo and 3 others like this.
  9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    '70ish Micro-Frets Husky shorty ...total gun to head pull trigger moment of stupidity
    that's the only one that is probably gone forever

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I would like to have my first bass back for sentimental reasons, but I REALLY wish I had the 70’s BC Rico Eagle that I basically gave away for $400.

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I can honestly say I’m content and really don’t desire any of my former basses back.

I do wish I still had my Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage and my Taylor Holden Village GS Mini back.

cheapbasslovin and BaltoNealio like this.
  12. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City, KS
    2 years ago I sold a very favorite Fender Custom Shop '59 Precision Closet Classic to a good friend and former bandmate who wanted it. The Atlanta Bass Gallery was then in the process of shutting down and had a Custom Shop '56 Precision that I had my eye on for some time, now "priced to sell". I needed to sell something to make it happen and my friend offered to buy the '59 so I regretfully let him have it.

As it turned out, while the '56 really was a fine instrument, for some reason I just never bonded with it. I ended up selling it a few months ago.

Two weeks ago my buddy and I were checking what was new and exciting at our favorite independent music store and he came across a new Gibson Flying V guitar that mesmerized him. But earlier that day at another store he had ordered a new, recently announced Rickenbacker 5 string bass, so the Flying V wasn't in his budget. Hmmm.....The V cost exactly the same as what I sold the '59 Precision to him for. So......I offered to buy him the V in exchange for the '59, which he gladly accepted.

So, this "I wish I had it back" had a happy ending. It is the only bass of several I've sold of the years that I regretted selling almost immediately. Lesson learned.

ScotRFM, Microbass, soulstew and 10 others like this.
  13. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This one.
    8-DA2-EB6-B-7-E96-4775-9-E37-FD99013-CC7-B8.

Geri O, Dasgre0g, Slinger and 3 others like this.
  14. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    69Tbird IV.

I had one of these.

Traded it in 1978 for this:
    The 2 gold knobs on this came from the Thunderbird.

52-1978-OvationBreadwinner-electric-12-string - Copy (2).

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    8guy and mikewalker like this.
  15. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    I'd have my first back — a 70s Riviera Jazz, sunburst, tort, ashtray, from Japan. It was stolen in 79 — very punk, I know. Still :( Maybe one day.

16. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    My Framus 50/149 Framus Star Bass (Bill Wyman). My first 4 stringer. I had it from around 1964 to 1969. It was stolen. This one is currently on Reverb , I have been tempted. Screenshot_20181026-105049~2.

Glenn Mac and MCF like this.
  17. Quap

Quap

Oct 14, 2008
    Lubbock, Texas
    B474697F-8EE1-4595-A6ED-EF07B3C2E479. This guy a Gibson SG Faded Black. Sold it to pay for another bass which I’ve already sold. Tons of fun to play.

Glenn Mac likes this.
  18. UbassDanno

UbassDanno

Nov 9, 2018
    Sun City, AZ
    My first, paid $65.00 for it back in the 60's, Harmony H-22...
    bass.

19. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Ibanez Musician 940DS fretless.
    Bought new on layaway with cash from odd jobs and chores, sold to pay bills about 10 years later, missed almost daily.

Low84 likes this.
  20. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I've sold two basses in close to 50 years of playing. Don't want either of'em back.