what bass does it all?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Can an L-2000 ever sound like a p bass or a jazz? Is there a bass out there that can give you the tone of a P a J and Stingray. Can the G and L do these things?
  2. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    Without having read what you wrote, I was going to reply with a recommendation of an L2000. I own a few basses and my old '83 L2000E has more useable tones than any of the others. But I also own an old Ibanez musician that is pretty close in that regard.

Both of these models were amongst the first "active preamp" basses made, and they still hold their own by today's standards. The Ibanez's can be had pretty cheap too.....excellent "bang for the buck".

My "ugly as sin" L2000E :

3. An L2000 cannot sound exactly like the Jazz or the P but it comes damn close. I really enjoy my L2000 as it is incredibly versitle and just a powerful instrument. If you are looking for a Fender'ish bass that covers both those sounds then the L2000 is a very good choice.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    A Roscoe Beck (Fender) does not precisely nail those sounds. But, because of its ability to switch the Lawrence pickups from parallel, to series, to coil, it gets about 95% of a Jazz, 80% of a P, and about 60% of a Musicman. All only IMO, of course.
  5. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Played an L-2000, Played an Ibanez BtB (with Barts).

I now own an Ibanez.
    The L-2000 sounded great but the Ibanez sounded better and was half as much money.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No one bass does it all. But the very closest to doing it all that I've seen is the Fender Jazz. You can take one of them to any situation, and never be out of place. It won't do every sound ever thought of in history, but it will do the vast majority.
  7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    A good do-it-all bass is the Fender American Deluxe Precision.
    Sound like a P? Almost. A J? Kinda. A Stingray? Sorta. It does not exactly nail any of the three to a "T", but it's very versatile tonally and does cover a lot of territory. :)
  8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Sounding like a P or a J is doing it all? Hrmf. Guess I don't have any basses then.
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not doing it all but it's pretty darn close.
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Me neither. :meh: :(
  11. how about a...uh...PJ?
  12. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Variax bass. It was designed specifically to replicate all those basses.
  13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Well considering I don't own a jazz I can't get that "tone" Never really played a Musiciman. I've played many p-basses. I can honestly say I've got really close to the p sound. Its there I just have to find it.
    Oh yeah I own a G&L tribute.

14. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've been sitting here for the last few hours, playing a brand new Stingray and asking myself what this bass cannot do.

I'm coming up with this - nothing.

Had I been playing a Bongo, I'd have the same response, to be honest.

My honest opinion is - pick a decent bass and go nuts. I've had Jazz basses that really made me think I needed nothing else. You might have something else that makes you feel that way.

Good for you, I say! Good for you. If not, then get out there and find one, okay? They're just tools, but the tools can be truly inspirational.

What bass does it all? The one that moves you.

15. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    i think the stingray has become a little passe in some peoples books ..no longer cool.

When i read all these threads about the best alround bass ect ..well in the back of my mind i think stingray but i darent mention it because its sounds so boring to say the word but its true.

the thing about the stingray is that it starts from a fairly high vantage point in tone dynamic that you can roll off to bring into the precision/ jazz zone quite succesfully. To try and go in the other direction isnt really possible.

The Stingray was leos final attempt at the perfect bass ..and it was a pretty good result. If musicman would offer jazz width necks then that would be even better.
  16. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT

My preferred tone is modern and aggressive, and the Bongo has that all over the place.

But last night my band was working on some dance tunes to play for a bunch of kids, and we started messing with "I Saw Her Standing There." I twiddled with that marvelous 4-band preamp, rolled the highs and upper mids way off, boosted the low mids, and hey presto...very cool, thick, early 60s tone.

The thing really is awesome.

If you don't like the looks....well, get over it. Think about how radical the P bass was when it came out.
  17. Jazz Bass '77 and G&L L2500 do everything for me. I play jazz, fusion, funk, disco ... Off course G&L is more versatile.;)
  18. No it was'nt....the G&L was. They do...its called a Sterling
  19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Bongos are hella-versatile. It'll do nearly everything you ask of it, short of print money and cook dinner.