1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass does jaco play in this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Dec 7, 2006.

1. In his infamous jam in E. I know its a jazz bass, but is it Active or Passive, and what is his EQ set to?

2. His bass.

3. Pretty sure it's a 60's jazz bass, fretted. It'd be passive. EQ, probably boosted mids, using the bridge pickup only.

Something like that, lol.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

It's a passive Fender Jazz Bass with a Precision neck. As far as I understand, that mod had to be done to his instrument after this. I can't tell you about exact EQ settings he used on his Acoustic amps, but he always soloed the bridge pickup (or had his neck pickup at minimum volume) and didn't scoop the mid frequencies.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Jazz bass w/ Precision bass maple neck according to Jaco/Jemmott.

6. J bass with precision neck? Now that's my type of 4 string jazz :)

7. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    If I remember correctly, he borrowed this bass for the video shoot, and had to slot and fit a nut on the neck. The bass later turned up on sale somewhere with both necks, the maple Precision and the original maple/rosewood neck.

Jaco's fretless was completely destroyed, and rebuilt for him by Kevin Kaufman. This guy has pics of the fretless before it was rebuilt. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfitzstephens/

177217603_5179238c29_o.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    EddieG I recall the same thing.

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    His playing in that video swings so hard.
    Nice.

10. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I for some reason remember his settings being passive w/ bridge pickup on full, neck on 75% and his tone knob on 25% but I could be wrong.