Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Bass does Justin Chancellor of Tool Play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    And what does he do to get the sound he does? I saw them live last night, and the punch on that thing was incredible.

2. Quizzo

Quizzo

Aug 10, 2002
    Upstate SC
    I always thought we used a Wal(s?) but i have no idea for tha amp.

3. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Someone link me to Wal's?

He also had a cool looking custom with LTD's in it, heh.

But he used distortion the entire concert, his pedalboard was bigger than the guitarists :p

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You were at the Seattle show? So was I. Despite how crappy the Arena sounds, it was good.

I didn't see any bass with LEDs though - but I was edge-on most of the time (sat way around to the right).

By "cool looking custom" do you mean something other than a Wal? I definitely didn't see anything non-Wal last night.

The distortion was fairly light at times. He actually used a lot less on "Sober" than the last time I saw them - he had a lot more crunch, less fuzz.

6. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Amp wise he's playing Mesa M2000 into a road-ready 8x10" for his crunch sound and Mesa 400+ into another RR 8x10" for his clean sound and mixes the 2 (there may be a third DI'd signal going to the desk too).

His Wals are pretty nice... he has 3 of them

Before you (or anybody else) asks, you can't get the same sound from another make of bass in my experience... I tried with a couple (including a Stingray 5) but I had to by a Wal myself before I could get a similar sound (although they're more flexible than just the one sound - a lot more flexible!)

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Yeah, I was at the Seattle show. And actually, I was wrapped around the right side too, heh, but i moved a bit forward, but I was still about level with the stage.

There was a guitar whose body looked more like a fender jazz (im talking about the top horn stretched further) and he had a whole like halfway up which looked like a light... maybe it was all the damned haze and pot smoke in the arena, lol.

That was the first Tool show I saw. Even with Key Arena's god awful acoustics, they sounded amazing.

His distortion got to me sometimes, like on songs where it should have been, like Parabol, or Schism.

But whatever, it still sounded amazing.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Huh. Well I wasn't looking that closely, maybe I missed it. Or maybe it was a Mach III Wal, I think his main one is a Mach II, the III has a longer upper horn (doesn't look much like a Jazz though).

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

You get a VERY similiar sound from a G&L 2000 or %5500. IMHO