Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass does les claypool use?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xaero187, Oct 3, 2002.

1. xaero187

xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    well? what does he use? i'm baffled love him tho :)

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    use the search function, man...he uses various carl thompson basses and he also has some 70's jazzers.

3. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    carl thompson

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He might show up with almost anything from an array of basses he has. But he is most closely associated Carl Thompsons and owns a slew of them.

Lately, he seems really into his two NS (Ned Steinberger) Designs electric upright basses.

He also seems to love his old violin-body Eko (looks a lot like a Hofner 500/1 that McCartney used).

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

yeah, i remember a pic of les they showed in bp magazine with the eko he got from daddy's junky music hee hee

6. rickbass

Was it Daddy's??? This is really trivial, but, I thought it was Subway Music in SF. When Eko went belly-up, Subway bought all of their remaining stock and parts.

The only reason I thought of it was I spec'd and ordered a Frankenbass using an Eko body from Subway years ago and they never got back to me....musta been some great hash in town that week, I guess.

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eek...mebbe your right man...

8. rickbass

Aw....don't say "eek" nep - who gives a tinker's damn anyway (although some of we TB'ers do get anal about meaningless details too often, IMO).

I was just curious because it wasn't the first time I would have been wrong and if I had known about Daddy's way back when I sent Subway my spec's, maybe I could have gotten an Eko cheap to get the body I wanted at the time.

9. It was definitely Subway Guitars. I remember reading an interview with Claypool in BP where he talked about how Fat Dog put it together for him, and how he A/B'd it with a Hofner and the Eko played and sounded way better, to his ears anyway.

10. Well EAR actually, since he is deaf on (?) one due to a car accident. :(