Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass does this guy play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fender32, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I think that I've just heard THE bass sound that I've just been imagining up unitl now. Problem is, I don't know what bass/amp/effects setup the guy (I assume it's a guy, I'm a sexist at heart:bag: ) uses. Also, I couldn't find anything on the net.

It's from an album by Bernard Allison, called "Times are Changing" and the hot bass tracks are, "Check Yourself", "Midnight Creeper" and (especially) "In the Morning".

I found some pics of the band and the bass player was holding a Stingray, but the sound on the record doesn't fit with that in my view.

Any opinions, or better still, facts, would be greatly appreciated. Now all I have to do is to learn to play like him ...:bassist:

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I listened to the clips at allmusic.com and I hear an active jazz bass or similar. Some envelope follower here and there too.

3. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    I wish that my active Jazz Bass sounded like that (actually, I took the J-Retro off and sold it on eBay, so it's passive again now).

I think that you're on the right track though, there's certainly a hint of JB in there. I assumed that it was something fatter, woodier and more expensive.

The envelope follower makes sense too. A couple of the album tracks have a lot of it on ("Bass Balls", or similiar), so the guy certainly owns one!

Still, thanks for taking the time to check into it for me.

Anyone else got any info/ideas?

:)

4. Perhaps hes using something with Dual Coils? Similar to single coil sound but beefier and bigger, still with active electronics. Thats my guess anyway. I haven't heard it, you just mentioned it sounding similar to an active JB, and that was my first thought.

5. Was it recorded live and unprocessed? If so, ignore the rest of this post. If not, the sound may have been greatly influenced by the engineer and producer. In that case also have to ask not only what rack equipment was used in the studio but also what VST (or protools) plugins may have been used during mixing, editing and mastering.

Getting ones live tone fairly close to a particular recorded sound requires a bit of work but is possible. Nailing a particular recorded sound, especially outside of a studio, IMO = extremely difficult.

Peace,
    S