Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass for my first?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jstad, Oct 19, 2005.

1. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    I have been searching around the forum looking at what kind of bass a beginner should buy. I am brand new to the bass guitar. I have wanted to get into the bass for a long time but my dad had made me try the guitar first (which I was not happy about, and go figure, I didnt play it. It was a Squier by the way). Now that I am in college and spending my own money I can finally get a bass :p

I see people on the forum suggest a bunch of different brands. I want to get a setup for <$200 (guitar + amp). Many people suggest Essex, but I am not sure which one to get. I am also looking at getting a used Yamaha RBX-250 (if I can get it for a good price). Which should I go for?

Also, what style of bass do I want to play modern rock? I prefer a black guitar but I can live with something else if I must ;) If you can give me specific model numbers if you suggest Essex, that would be great.

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    $200

check out Ibanez Jam pack

3. SX would be a good choice. Since your budget is so limited, you are going to have a hard time finding anything better. The SX is not a bad instrument by any means though. Very popular around here.

As far as SX instruments you should look at, here is the Jazz and here is the Precision. Pick which ever one you like best. These are the two most popular bass designs and either one would work great. Both instruments are used extensively in rock.

As far as an amp goes, you can either get the SX starter pack from Rondo or you can search for a used amp. However, with the $70-$80 you have left over after the bass, any amp you get is gonna be teh suxorz. The starter pack might be your best bet. Even though the amp is going to be fairly lousy, it will help you get by for few months til you can afford a real amp. You will not be doing any gigging with any amp you will buy for $70-$80, sorry to say.

4. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    http://www.rondomusic.net/spb62k.html So you suggest the starter pack. Will it sound like sh*t or is it pretty good? I have never played any instrument (no musical preforming background) so most likely I will be playing for myself for at least 6 months. I just want something that I can learn on and maybe use for a gig or two to see if I like it down the road.

Is the amp so bad it won't even sound like the song I am trying to play like my little squier amp was?

Also what exactly is the difference (benefits/downfalls) between a J and P bass?

5. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    anyone?

6. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Agreed with Discograham. Playing by yourself, that might be fine. Playing with others, that probably won't work. In that case, I'd look for a used SX or Squier that's under $100, and with the rest get the loudest used amp you can, most likely an old 1x12 or 1x15 combo. Don't worry about features; look at wattage. You might have to sit tight with the Squier amp for a while until a deal comes along.

In terms of P versus J...both are great and will work just fine for Modern Rock. No real downfalls of either IMO for what you'll be doing. If the P is a little cheaper, go with that so you have the most money for your amp.

Marshall

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1 Awesome bass for the price.

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yamaha makes great basses. You could get a really nice BB414 for around $400.

9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    The SX, Brice, Ibanez and Yamaha all are good starter instruments. The one I'd avoid at all costs is Squire (not a very good instrument at all).

10. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    Right now I am locked into this bass (cant withdraw my bid for an SX)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:11&Item=7358158493

What do you think? Should I have the seller cancel my bid or should I ride it out for that price?

Also if I got the SX, I would want a different pickguard. How do I go about replacing it? I dont like the classic black on white look, I would want a black pickguard (maybe with white trim).

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That would be great if the price doesn't creep up too much.

I was assuming Yamaha was out of your price range, but if it's not, go for it! I'll assume The Owl is wise and withdraw the Squier suggestion, since I don't have much firsthand knowledge with more recent ones.

Marshall

12. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    Well I was getting this one because of the price tag. I have no problem buying a better guitar and maybe having to hold out on an amp till later (which doesnt make sense since you basically need an amp to play ;))

13. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    Well it seems I am going to win this Yahama RBX-250. So now I need to get an amp.... What brands should I look for and what is a good wattage? Remember I am on a budget and I won't be preforming any gigs with it, it is just so I can play along with my CD's/mp3's and for personal use, but I want it to sound good.

14. For an amp I have a little Crate MXB15 that sounds really good and is perfect for just playin' around with. I don't know the price because I got it for a gift so it might be out of your range, but the cool thing is when you do start jammin' with a drummer it puts out enough so you can still be heard. WAY to small for a gig, but it'll get the job done and sound good doin' it. :)

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I really dig the SX '62-style jazz.

As far as cheaper amps, Rogue might be a good choice. You can get 100W for pretty cheap. Granted, you're not gonna want it once you get good, but they make pretty nice starters.

16. I would so either of those are average at best.

This is my suggestion seeing you are a beginner. Just buy what you can afford. If you decide to stick with it, then you'll have time to get some more higher quality stuff. This is the way I look at it, being new to a bass there is ALOT to learn. The stuff you need to learn doesnt require an amp per se. Am I saying dont get an amp? No. What I am saying is get what you can afford and go running out of the hole practicing.

Its always great to get awesome equiptment but everyone has to start some where. Check out your local pawn shops and your music store used section. You can always find a decent small combo amp around the $100 range.

Also, this is another suggestion. Depending on how good your computer speakers are, you could always plug into the line in and use those to play along with your MP3s. Whats cool about this is you can record yourself too to see how you are doing. Recording yourself is a GREAT practicing tool. I do this often and my computer speakers are a couple Altech Lansing satellite speakers with an 8in subwoofer.

Just my $0.02

17. jstad

jstad

Oct 19, 2005
    How do you plug a guitar into a line in port? Are there adapter's available?

My speakers are Logitech Z650's

18. If you an electronics store or something just check to see if they have a 1/8th inch stereo to 1/4in mono adapter.. I made my own though. Its pretty simple..