Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass for punk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cobra prince, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just started playing Bass guitar and was wondering what the best bass guitar brand is?

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

2. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    when i started playing bass many years ago,18 to be exact, i started out on a 1963 vox phantom. way to big for me. then i discovered shortscale basses. i now play dan armstrong plexi basses and i also have a hofner. i really think that it's what feels comfortable to you and also really, who do you like to listen to. i think most of us play the instruments that our heroes use. me, i'm influenced by rick price form the georgia satellites so i chose the da basses. the hofner because i teched for a guy who used one and i always really liked it. i might be over simplifing this but anyone else have an opinion.

3. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I don't think anyone can answer that....it is like asking what is the best food or what is the best band or so on.....

What is best to YOU depends on what you are looking for. Every brand has its differences.....

4. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    whats the best?
    here we go again.................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

5. I know that it depends on me. But what is the best bass to you for playing Punk Rock music? :bassist:

6. What would one of the better choices for me to choose if i wanted to start pllaying Bass for a Punk Rock band :confused:

and please dont give me that crap,"it all depends on you." I just want your opinion. :bassist:

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    peavey foundations.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome to TalkBass!

Since you just joined, you might want to take a look at the existing threads and get friendly with the search function. Lots of questions you might have have already been asked and answered.

It all depends on you! :D

9. Well ok i'll try that thanks guy

10. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Again, that is a very objective question? I don't play punk rock but for me it depends on the gig. For most of my R&B, Funk and Blues gigs I use a Fender Jazz. Recording I use my Alembic.

If you flick on MTV, you'll see guys using every brand under the sun, and they will all have a different reason for using that brand. What you need to do is get down to some stores and just start playing basses. The more you play the more you will learn the differences, and most important what sounds and feels good to you! Now I can can tell you to go get a Fender Jazz bass, that is what I like, but it may not be your cup of tea.....

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Youre going to get votes for the Fender Precision, and the Musicman Stingray.

Hell, they get my vote, too.

12. But why do they get votes? what makes them good?

13. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    Any bass can work with anything and it's not like punk needs super high quality instruments. But if thats what you want I think a Ernie Ball stingray is one of the best high quality basses commonly used in punk.

14. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Anything with lots of stickers, and "PUNX" scratched into it. But really, we all have spent years trying to find the right bass and it really is a preference of what feels and sounds good. Look at what is being played by your favorite bands and then go try one out. That's a great place to start.

15. Hey thanks guys i think i will try out some of my Fav. bands guitars. but i will alos try the stingray.

16. WEll i will try the fender jazz bass just to see if i like it. and i will go down town and try out some new basses thanks

17. play whatever you think feels right, i play punk but am not one to use more standard "punk" basses :)

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    There really is no "best brand". And it does all depend on you. It comes down to what feels best to you, and to what sounds best to you.

Go to your local music store, and try to play everything you can get your hands on in your price range.

EDIT: I just noticed you had two of basically the same thread going on, so I merged the two of them together. In the future, please do not double post on the same topic.

19. Well what bass would you play if you were in a punk rock band?

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Myself, I would play what I like. If I were to go buy a bass just for the purpose of playing punk, I would possibly go out and pick up a Stingray, or a Bongo. Or a Fender P or J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.