1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass for Pyramid Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Jan 6, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have always wanted to try out the Pyramid flats and since I have a new Fireglo Ric 4003s on it's way to me I figured this was as good a time as any. Looking to get my McCartney circa 1966 tone happening. I know he used them on the Hofner.... only can assume he used them on the Ric too. But knowing his proclivity for cheapness, they might have been the stock Ric strings for a considerable time. ;)

Anyhoo just curious as to recommendations for what kind of basses you all have used Pyramid flats on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. I believe he actually used Maxima flats on the rick. They are now sold as the Optima RB flats, those are the same ones. try those.

armybass likes this.
  3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Cool thanks! I found them at Strings By Mail. Will give them a shot after the Pyramids.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  4. This dude uses Pyramid flats on his Rick ... I think it sounds great:

armybass likes this.
  5. My Fender J-Bass is strung with Pyramid flats. I will never take them off. I've tried many flats and I find these to be the most unique. Super smooth.

armybass and markjazzbassist like this.
  6. they might be the smoothest strings out there, nothing like em. like glass.

armybass likes this.
  7. Hofner BB sound nice.

armybass likes this.
  8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    My Hofner has six year old Pyramid Flats and still sounds great.

armybass and BassLover668 like this.
  9. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    I use Pyramids on an old Hofner Club. Great on that bass.

armybass likes this.
  10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Could you compare them to LaBella DTF's?

11. the pyramid are smoother, hand polished with graphite (you'll have grey/black stuff on your hands for a week until it all rubs off, or you can wipe the strings down to remove). the labella are smooth no doubt, but the pyramids are VERY smooth.

armybass likes this.
  12. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Are the Pyramids closer to TI tension? I am trying to decide to put them on a bass tuned to Eb or E? Thanks so much for the insight!

13. pyramids are not close to TI. they are medium tension like a GHS or labella.

armybass likes this.
  14. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Great! Thank you! That is a huge help!

markjazzbassist likes this.
  15. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    OK well I finally put these on my new Fireglo 4003s and I really do like them. They have the classic old school thump of my beloved LaBella 760FL's but not as much and also do not have the top end bite that the LaBellas can hold onto for a surprisingly long time. I think the LaBellas are great for Fender basses but in my mind the Pyramids are a better fit for the Rics. Maybe they are less scooped with more of a focused mid presence? Only had them on a day but used them at rehearsal yesterday and the bass sounded great! I have them on a bass that is tuned to Eb and they are the perfect tension for me. Love them.....one more set of flats added to my list of faves.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Pantone 333 and markjazzbassist like this.