Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass for SLAP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rew, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Rew

Rew

Feb 1, 2004
    Hey. I'm starting out with slapping. Will it make a difference if the strings are close together? I'm using a fender lyte p-bass. It sounds great and everything but im thinking of getting a new bass and need to know if there is one with strings that are farther apart and if that will help with slapping. thanks,

Andrew

2. Some find it harder to slap with the strings closer together. I personally have no problem with them closer together or further a part - It's just whatever feels comfortable to you. Go play some basses that you might want to buy and whichever one feels best to you, go for it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think it is easier to slap with the strings farther apart. I think it depends on your slapping style. I have a pretty aggresive style and i tend to hit the strings from about 3 inches up or so. Anything with string spacing of 18mm or above is what i like for slapping. I can deal with 17mm but id prefer not to. I started getting serious about slapping on my Hohner which has i think 17.5 mm spacing, and it was diffucult at first but then i got used to it. Now slapping on my Godin is a dream because the spacing is wider.

4. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    try a music man i think they have the biggist spacing (19mm)?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Many basses have spacing of 19mm. P basses, Godins, etc.

6. IMO the Music Man basses have one the best slap tones around (Stingray and Sterling, don't know about the Bongo's).

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Learning to slap on tight string spacing will only improve your slap technique. -Luke

8. modulus Flea bass ---nuff said

9. I like tha Way a Warwick sounds whenn it's slapped.
    They're spaced nicely( I'm not to sure of the exact measurement), and aren't too heasvy onthe shoulders

10. I slap on my Fender MIM Jazz V i think it is a 17mm string spacing and as far as tone, it is great. With a little adjusting on the amp a great tone can result. But I also have to agree with Robbi, Warwick basses have a great slap tone, somtimes a little bright though MEC picups are like that.

11. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've found that jazz basses are commonly used for slap lines in commercial jingles, radio ads, movies etc...

12. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the best slapping bass i've found is an Elrick NJS Bass with a maple neck...

other great slapping basses range from very expensive (Fodera VW/Sadowsky Jazz) to not so expensive (Peavey Cirrus)..... the Modulus Flea Bass is a great slapping bass

a Fender Jazz bass with a maple neck will get that tone known for slapping, as will a Lakland Jazz

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    As you are asking about what basses will do the job for you, this topic is probably more suited to the Basses forum!

Moved!

14. appler

appler Guest

In my opinion, the MusicMan StingRay feels the best and has the best slap tone around. If it's a little too pricey for you, you could always buy an OLP and swap the neck, bridge, or pickups and come out considerably under the cost of a new StingRay. Or find a good deal on a used 'Ray. Just listen to some old Chili Peppers albums. Sooooo fine.

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What bass for slap, you ask? well the answer is ALMOST ANYTHING! to get a clear, hi-fi sound, maple or hard ash well serve you well, and one pu closer to the bridge (so P-basses fall out, but they are still slapable...), and a lacquered finish will also add to clarity.

BTW I slap on a Warwick Corvette 6, with 17mm spacing; oil finished bubinga, wenge board with bell brass frets, so this way I get a different tone from that, but this still sounds good :p

And one more thing:
    Most of it depends on the strings, anyway... ;)

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :( Get a TEACHER! :rolleyes:
    slapping from that high will only tire you out and slow you down. When I slap, I only seldom raise my thumb up more than 1,5" and still get that slap sound. Slap depends more on technique than on brutal force, even though with some players this might seem so *cough* FiEldY *cough*... :rolleyes:
    Check rather Marcus Miller out! ;) :cool:

17. I think a good slap bass shouldn´t sound too "neutral". IMHO It needs to have a bit nasal character in the midrange. My old bass didn´t have that character, but my new Neuser has plenty of it so I´m slapping a lot more than I used to.

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    NASAL??? Well i know tastes differ, but nasal? Rather clear, strong deeps and clear, biting highs - thats how slap is defined by most players. A bit of characteristic mid is ok but never have i heard someone play with a nasal tone :eek:

19. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    My Sterling gets the jobs done for me, same with Stingrays. Someone mentioned the modulus flea bass, both sterlings/stingrays are cheaper and can easily procude as good a slap tone!

Andy :)

20. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Not always. The MMs are cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I played a Modulus and a Stingray side by side once, and the Mod was all around better. The Flea is basically an MM copy, but the graphite neck, and the preamp, give it a flavor that a lot of MMs can't match. The MM is still great, I just thought the Modulus was better.