1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass guitar brand holds its value the best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I did this on the amp thread as well. What bass guitar brand do you think holds its value the best? I don't think it's Fender.

2. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I do.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    vintage fenders.

4. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Any bass if taken care of will hold it's value very well. Of course Fender does for iconic reasons more than anything, so do high end basses like Ken Smith, MTD, Alembic, etc. The main thing is don't buy a new bass expecting to sell in the next few years for more than you paid for it. Try thinking on a 20 year plan. Will this company still be around? Is this bass a limited run bass or run of the mill? Anything with a 1 of 1 status, or "one off" custom will be worth more. Remember, the value of anything is based on the interpretation of the buyer. Why do you think so many 60's J and P basses are worth so much? Some poor baby boomer always wanted one, but until now has never been able to afford one. Now money is no issue because his retirement fund is full and nostalgia has turned into GAS for that 1960 J Bass his parents refused to buy him. Being in the industry, I know how this works. Nostalgia of greying bass players turns into lust for gear that they never had. Hey, I'll be there some day too. (Me 30 years from now) "Oh man I always wanted one of those EBMM Bongo Basses, but I had kids to feed and mortgages to pay when they first came out. You have one? Great!!! $10,000? No problem. Wow, this is a dream come true!!!" That's how basses retain value.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

BTW, Ernie Ball Music Man basses have a great resale value, for sure.

6. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I asked this question at my repairman's shop the other day to some of the older guy's hanging out(45+);how much was a fender jazz bass in 1965-1975? the consensus was about $350 with a case.now those same bass's are going for $2500 and up even with the more common mod's people did in the 70's and 80's(new pickups bridges etc) I could understand the increase in price if thes are all mint condition unmodified bass's but I'v seen heavly modded bass's with $4000.price tag's.is there any way of finding our how many bass's fender made between '65-'75?

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Resale value should not be the main factor when buying a bass.

No one buys a bass thinking about how much they'll get out of it when they sell it.

8. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Dingwall has a very good resale value.

9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Threads like this make me sorta wary. I mean, to me, selling a bass is something you do if you absolutely have to, some time down the road. Going into a purchase thinking 'How much can I get back on this?' is just wrong, if you ask me.

10. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    A good Fender

11. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    MIA Fenders

12. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    well, i wouldn't want to know how good because i don't plan on selling my bongo.:smug:

13. I bought a new sunburst P-Bass in 1971 at Roxy Music in East Aurura, NY. It cost me $267.50 with a case. My guitar player, at the same time, bought a Telecaster for $214.50 with case. I think Fenders hold their value better than most other brands. I buy them to play, not as part of my investment portfolio.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Very good points. And no, you shouldn't buy a bass planning to sell it, but it's not a bad idea to know that in 20 years your instrument will be worth something.

15. Vintage (only) Fenders do well because of the collector's market, modern versions do not do nearly so well.

Based on my experience in the market (5 years at Bass Central), anyone that thinks Alembics hold their resale value is hitting the chiba too hard. They are wonderful, well made instruments, but that leads to why they have such poor resale in the used market - each one is custom made for someone, and finding someone else looking for exactly those specs is impossible. There is a joke in the shops about it:

"Alembic, buy it for $8,000, sell it for $800."

Of course, if it's your dream bass, it's well worth the $8,000 to get it, if you will keep it the rest of your life.

The "boutique" bass that by far held the best resale value was Fodera. The production line bass that did so was Music Man/Ernie Ball.

16. both of my bass have great resale value and alot of people sell there basses for what i paided new for them.

Rickenbacker 4003 and an ernie ball musicman stingray. they both rake in alot of money on resale which is nice but i dont even plan on selling them.

17. +1 Couldn't agree more...

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea - I didn't think about Rickenbacker when I started this thread. You are right on about them holding their value. This is the only bass I know of that you can buy and sell in 6 months for the same amount you paid for it. Of course I only did that once - I'll never sell my 4003.

19. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    the one answer in know: its definitely not Carvin.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There seems to be threads about this pretty regularly, so I would say there are several people thinking that, wouldn't you?