Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass has more midrange......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Nov 30, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A Warwick (What bass) A rickenbacker 4003, or a Wal (so DANG EXPENSVE, No money for wal... just forget it...) Or an Ibanez ATK. What you guys think? Ive heard some NASTY midrange coming out of some thumbs lately....

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    warwick: basically any model except the rockbass line. you get a great growl with the wenge neck AND fretboard. IMO of course... ;) i have never really looked at ricks as mid-heavy basses (IMO again)

oh and wals have pretty much whatever tone you want in them...

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The only way you're going to get a Warwick with a wenge neck/fingerboard is to find a pre-'97 one used. The necks on the new ones are ovangkol with wenge fingerboards.

If you want lotsa mids, a flatter neck profile, less weight, a neck that will not shift for temperature or humidity changes, and a nice light, well-balanced bass:

Zon Sonus Special

You can find 'em used in the $1300-1700 range.

Oh, pay no mind to the "JRBrown experience" in relation to the Sonus Special - that was NOT a true Sonus Special. The "real" ones have major butt-kickage in the low-mids, and sound great everywhere else.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A Modulus Quantum with EMG's offers the most mid-range boost of all the basses I've ever played or heard.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few Wal's & they're full of midrange.

6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Might have said i'm going to be beating the hell out of this bass (well not really, but i'm rough on them). and don't have that kinda money.... the wal....is yet a dream. lets see,,,,1 year for a rick or another bass,,,,,, or 4 years saving for a wal........

7. My Thumb was made in 2000 and its got a wenge neck and fingerboard

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    maybe kinda off the WAL ( ha, i made a pun!) but MTDs cut thru beatifully with a pleasant midrange-

9. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    time for YOU to get a Wal....Mr Pun:D