what bass has the most punch??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Feb 15, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    is it a stingray??
  2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Roscoe LG 3005 with 18v. 2 band eq. If you practice in a basement, make sure all glasses, plates, and anything else breakable in the house is velcro'd down, or else do not run the bass control past mid-point. As for highs, don't run the treble past mid or you will be replacing windows/and or ear drums.... You have been warned, these basses are not for the meek or mild!
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I tried a Modulus Flea Bass and it had punch like Mike Tyson . I haven't tried a Beck, put I can't imagine anything that would leave more bruises than this through a decent amp.
  4. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    I love them!!!

5. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    We're going to have a variety of responses here. It only goes to show that when it comes to equipment, it's all a matter of opinion and personal tastes. Which is a good thing actually.

My Fender P-bass is very punchy. But then so is my Lakland 55-94.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Phil on this one, I think that my Pedulla 5 and my Zon fretless 5 both have more PUNCH than any of the basses mentioned so far, but of course, that's just MHO and just to my ears, through my amps. IMHO, YMMV, IIRC, etc.:)
  7. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Well, in terms of "Leo Fender related company" basses and stock pickup output, here's my list, IMHO, mind you, from highest to lowest.

1. G&L L-2000, ASAT Bass
    2. G&L L-1500
    3. Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray, Sterling
    4. G&L SB-2
    5. G&L SB-1
    6. American Deluxe Precision Bass
    7. -Fender Precision Bass (2nd. Generation, various passive)
    -G&L LB-100
    8. Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
    9. Fender Jazz Bass (various passive)
    10. Fender Precision Bass (1st. generation)
  8. I've heard good stuff about Carvins. Of course, a good amp is what you need for punch.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not my Carvin LB75. It's one of the "beautiful basses" soundwise, (oh, cosmetically too. It looks like a New Orleans pimp). It's no street brawler, but that's not what I wanted.

You're right, IMO, on the amp, bassman. Not much punch from any bass without a flood of juice ramming the voice coils on some 10"s or 8"s!