Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass has the thinest neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Aug 8, 2003.

1. What bass guitar have you played, seen, touched, (or have it on good authority), is one that you think has the thinest neck of all? (Measured all-around, both width and depth combined...)
    Try and keep it at something that you could walk into a shop and order; hand-made, one-off customs not included here, okay?

4 string: The Epiphone Rivioli is about the thinest necked bass I've ever owned, at not all that much bigger than a banjo neck... (Terrible tone IMO though; not nearly enough low range with its PU's...)

5 -to-8 stringers: Damned if I know... d];>]}

PS: How come the smileys work but very rarely in my postings?

Greywoulf

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My fodera has a really thin neck, coudln't say if it's the thinest but it's definitely up there in the thin neck world.

As for smilies, that bizzare thing
    d];>]

looks like a pirate maybe, but at anyrate that won't work on this vB forum

just click on any smilie icon to the left of hte text field to insert a smilie, after a while you will start to learn how to just type them like
    :mad: and :meh: I just typed because it's easier that way...ya know?

3. bieger

bieger

Aug 28, 2002
    NYC
    Curbow necks are pretty darn thin...

Jeremy

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    a geddy lee jazz
    or sound gear ibanez

or a bass uke ;)

steve

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Guild Starfire Reissue (late 90s)(even smaller total dimensions than my 1970)

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Curbow. You want thin? Think playing a fretboard with strings. They are kinda wide, though.

For narrow, I hear the Fernandes necks are about as narrow as they come...

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender jazz bass.

8. My Cort's Fretboard radius is almost 16 inches which is pretty thin from other basses I've played...

fretboard to neck- that's quite thin

9. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The old Vox basses all seemed to have incredibly thin necks. They really make you feel as though you are holding a toothpick...

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Historically, Hagstroms, a Swedish maker of basses and guitars, made the fastest, thinnest, neck in the world, as far as mass production instruments.

In fact, they were so thin and fast, they had big problems with them arriving warped in the US for awhile, even though they were fine instruments. One of my first guitarists, as a teenager, had a Hag 12-string and a rival bassist had a Hag. The necks were so thin and fast, you found yourself slipping off of them until you got used to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Although I've never owned one, the Pedulla's I've played all seem to be very flat and thin

Rob

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Another vote for Curbow. Even my 80s Petite prototype is spectacularly thin as well as narrow.

13. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ibanez Soundgears - I found it kinda tough going from an SR640 to an Ibanez BTB405...:eek:

:D :bassist:

14. Hofner basses have one of the thinest, and hofner copies, ie. Jay turser (which I thought was fairly decent, although, no one else seems to think that way :meh: )

15. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    IME, the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass neck has a thinner profile than the ibanez, fodera, and regular fender jazz basses mentioned above.

it's supposed to be a jazz bass with a shaved neck, after all...

16. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The neck on my Cirrus is pretty darn thin (depth wise)

17. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    The width of a Vox "Toothpick" neck is 1 3/8" at the nut. The width of a Hofner 500/1 is 1 5/8" at the nut. I know this because I just measured both of mine.
    Hagstrom necks are in the 1 5/8" range at the nut.
    The old Framus "Star Bass" has the same dimension as the Vox.
    Cheers,

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Geddy Lee J has a thin neck.

19. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    This puppy has as skinny neck as I've ever played. It's similar to a Jazz Bass at the first fret, but unlike the Jazz which gradually gets wider as you go up the fretboard, this puppy stays skinny.

1979 BC Rich Eagle

20. I'm no expert and I've only been playing for a few years, but for as many basses as I've tried out, I can say pretty much that Fenders don't have thin necks. I'll be getting all sorts of hate mail, but that's just my opinion :D. The Ibanez EDA has a slim neck, but the slimmest that I know of (personally...lol) is a Teisco/Silvertone EB-200 (not the violin-style EB-200, it seems as if there's 2 kinds of EB-200)I got it used, and it has a little warp, but it's a player! The neck is super fast and slim, though I tried some other EB's and they had huge chunky, fat necks :meh: . It doesn't sound lame or "farty" for being a short scale, and if you're looking for a bass that's easier to play (eg., slimmer neck) then keep your eyes open for one of these. No doubt there are most likely slimmer-necked basses out there, but that's my 2 cents....