1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass have i bought

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zyrran, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Zyrran

Zyrran

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi,

Im new at this forum and hope you can help me identify my bass.

A couple of days ago i bought an old bass at a flea market near our summer house in the northern parts of Sweden. It was for sale for a bargain so i just bought it.

I searched the web for the passed days to try to identify it but without result. The bass has no markings or brand exept for HBP-101 45 written under the pickup. It´s a short scale 31,5 - 32". The bridge and tuners are very similar to the ones found on Teisco basses. Even the thumbrest i similar. It was sold in a really nice hardcase which seems to be original due to how good it fits the bass. The body seems to be made of 10-12 thin layers of wood glued together.

Anyone seen this one before?
    I have more pictures if needed.

(apologies for spelling and grammar)

Attached Files:

2. Zyrran

Zyrran

Aug 20, 2012
    More pictures

Attached Files:

3. Zyrran

Zyrran

Aug 20, 2012
    And more..

Attached Files:

4. Cool looking Japanese P copy. These were available branded a million different ways from what I understand. I've played some nice ones, some not so nice. Your's looks pretty sweet to me! Enjoy.

5. lol @ the bridge

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Wow. That thing looks dangerous!! Everyone that whines about MIM bridges cutting their hands should have a look at this thing!!

7. Wow. I saw a Jazz copy at a local pawn shop with a bridge exactly like that. The rest of the bass looked crudely homemade so I thought some redneck with a plasma cutter got at it, made a... sorta decent instrument and then realized he didn't know how to play bass :bag: Interesting to think that there is/was a factory making instruments like this... :rollno:

--Silvie

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Those 10-12 'layers of wood' are commonly known as..plywood. Not good :)

9. Who cares. If he got it cheap, it sounds OK and doesn't weigh as much as an equivalent volume of depleted uranium, hurray! Looks neat IMO.

10. Zyrran

Zyrran

Aug 20, 2012
    ....can´t find out how to quote so i do like this:

@leegreenman
    Well it is really cool, and thats the reason i bought it :cool:

@Silver Blues
    Well the bridge looks like it could kill someone
    for sure! But the rest of it is good quality and well made in my mind, seen worse ones made from other brands. Well mabye not the tuners, the seem a little cheap..

@mmbongo
    Yea, plywood, thanx for the word! If its good or not we´ll see when i conect it to my amp at home (still on holiday)

@dmusic148
    Well said! I havn´t heard i through an amp yet, but acoustic it sounds nice even with really old flats. It got a bit of foam mounted in the bridgecover to dampen the strings, don´t know if it was there as original. I paied 60 bucks for it so if it plays for 70 it´s a good deal. The body is a little bit heavier than my other Fender basses but not depleded-uranium-heavy, i guess around 4,5-5kg.

11. I don't know what it is, but that headstock gives me the creeps. Yeah, yeah it's a standard "C" shape, but I tell ya it's freaky.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I hope you got it for very very low price.

13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    It looks like its turned a hair. Not angled the same as we're used to seeing.