1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass have you passed on buying and regretted the most?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patplaysbass, Aug 28, 2012.

1. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    For me it's this bad boy. Is it probably a piece of trash with no practical applications? Of course. Would I care because it's a flippin' quadruple neck bass/mandolin/banjo/guitar? Of course not! I remember seeing the eBay auction at $250 and thinking "man that would be awesome to own, but the price is going to soar because it's so ridiculous." It ended up selling for $255. Every time I see it referenced on the interwebs I facepalm because it is the only one of it's kind. What are your stories of regret?

4neck1.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    You'd get some awesome sympathetic string vibrating action while you're playing it! It'd be like playing a piano with the sustain pedal held down!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind owning that thing. Just to say that I own it haha.

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Brand new Ric Chris Squire Signature bass back when they were still being produced. Saw one in a local music store for $1499. I couldn't quite justify buying it because I told myself I would probably never gig it and it would become sort of a "museum piece" in my practice room.
    I still kick myself for not buying it!

4. wango55

wango55

Dec 21, 2011
    CT
    Passed on a $200 MIM Fender Precision Deluxe, because it was the older passive model, and I thought I had to have the active version. Should have just bought it, since now I'm considering removing the pre-amp from my active one....

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Didn't pass but sold a really nice Sadowsky MV4 in Teal/Sea Foam Green with a Rosewood board and D-tuner. What a mistake. Tried to buy it back but no luck.

6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    2007 Gibson Thunderbird in Zerbrawood. They were marked down to $1,199. I didn't have the money at the time but I should have convinced myself to fire up the credit card and sell something later.

Also came across a store demo Fender Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton V in candy apple red last year. It was posted on eBay and I debated about the $2k price tag and fees to have it shipped from Canada a little too long. Never seen another in that color or for the price.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Wow. I say that alot here.

Wow.

8. I don't lose sleep over it, but I placed a custom order with Mike Tobias back in '87 for a Classic five-string--an amazing bass that I still own--but I often wish I'd ordered a six-string with the same woods and specs instead. :(

9. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Local guitar shop had an ESP that was an artist model not a cheapo import, the finish was kinda strange and the headstock was ugly but man did this thing sing AND it was soo light, the EMG's sounded great too.

At the time i was only playing 5 string so i dint think twice about this strange but cool 4 but to this day, 10 yrs later, i still think about it.

10. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The third G&L L-1000 that came into our store when we were an early G&L dealer, must have been early '82 or maybe '81. Light ash body, fretted ebony board, chrome hardware, natural finish, and the perfect neck for me.

John

11. 66Atlas

66Atlas

May 19, 2012
    I passed on an Ibanez Iceman ICB500 in the mid-90s. I still want one but havent seen another since...

12. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Many of them...
    The one I still miss was an Ibanez Musician (the one used by Sting, Abraham Laboriel, Alphonso Johnson) fretless, I saw used in a shop back in '86 or '87. I couldn't afford it (I was a teenager at my early gigs) and my father wouldn't lend me the money (we had some cash shortage in family...). Still I want one, and someday I'll find one as a gift from myself.

13. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    a lemonburst les paul bass :(

I had the money why didnt I? :(:(:(

14. I'm one who did buy one and at a better price too. Mine is a sort of museum piece I suppose and has never been out of my house. It's the one bass I bought with the intent of keeping in pristine as new condition. Great sounding and playing bass by the way.

One big regret was passing on an early '70s Ampeg AEB I could have had for very little money back in the late '70s. I'm still lusting to get one or one of Bruce Johnson's recreations, or better yet the ones he made for Ampeg. Now if I just had some extra money.

The other was passing on a late '90s G&L L2500 that was just incredible in tone and playability. It was perfect, if such a thing exists. I just couldn't come up with the money.

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    grape purple sparkle g&l 1500 with a maple neck, driving back from the desert and got caught in traffic and forgot to check the bid on the iphone, iirc it was dirt cheap and probably one of a kind

16. Erad

Erad

Aug 2, 2012
    tumblr_lxku3yhiuq1qds749o1_400.
    Gibson Grabber.

I love those basses. I had the money, but decided not to get it because I'm an idiot. it was $600 on Ebay, mint condition. Haven't seen one under $1000 since then.

Sigh. I will own one someday.

17. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    A very early Spector NS-2. Ed Roman, when he had his store in CT, tried to get me to buy it predicting that the NS-2 would some day become very popular.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Dingwall Super J with P/J pickups, black on black with maple board. I tried it six years ago, and it remains the best bass I've played (IMO of course). I couldn't imagine spending that much on a bass, but I could have done it, and I wish I had. I also sometimes regret passing up a pristine Guild Starfire, but I probably wouldn't use it much.

19. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    A black Carvin LB-50 fretless I saw in a Philadelphia pawn shop in the mid 90s.
    It was Listed at $400 - a lot for a used Carvin at the time - but they probably would have taken a lower offer and the thing played great.
    I was on tour at the time and didn't want the hassle of dragging another bass around.
    Oh, well... I've caught plenty of other good deals to make up for it.

20. AbyssalGhost

AbyssalGhost

Jul 17, 2012
    this hagstrom hiibn bass
    it was on ebay just about a month ago
    made a thread about it,asking for opinions.
    in the begining you could 'buyitnow' for $550 plus $50 shiping or somthing.

i would not doubt it,i was the first one to see it up.
    anyway,i was going to see how it go..
    once the auction started the buy it now went away.
    and the funny thing is at the end hey guy that got it payed more than how much you could have got it in the begining.
    the reason i could not get it was simply the money (i'm just 17,still looking for a job) i should have got a parent to buy it then pay them back later,but i feel ashamed asking for stuff like that.

i saved the picture so every time i see it it will remind me that when i see another to hop on it!

i recomend everyone here to do the same

Attached Files: