What Bass Head Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chronosx65x, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Please tell us what bass head you use,why you like it, and what bottom you use with it.
  2. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    It's not the same? "show your amp" vs "what head do you use and why"?

Anyway I use an Eden WT-800 head. I like its sound, it is very clear and true to the sound of my instrument and my fingers, so to speak. It has also a nice EQ section, but it sounds so sweet flat - I almost never use the EQ. Only every now and then a little up on the Enhance control for that modern "smiley-EQ" sound.
    I am still waiting for the Accugroove Tri-112 cab that I'll use it with, though. They are building it right now, I am being told. :)
  3. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I'm using a Glockenklang HeartCore - it is the closest thing I have found to a totally uncolored amp. I use it with one of the original Epifani 2x12's - which does add some tones of its own but sounds great.

My only beef with the head is that I have to run a fan on the amp fins to keep it cool- it generates a lot of heat! Anyway a small fan permanently attached to the rack case does it - I have it controlled by the power conditioner, so when the amp is on, the fan is on. At a slow speed you don't even hear the fan.

Dan K.
  4. Yorkville 400B. It was $230 CDN.
  5. Chronosx65x

May 27, 2004
    Thanx guys for the info. its nice to hear what you have and why you like it, instead of looking at pics of peoples setups. i didnt ask to see your amp, especially from a guy whose name is needmorebass,lol
  6. chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    I've had a GK 400RB since 1988 but it's getting alittle scratchy and can't be solved. So I was using a Peavey Firebass new/leftover at a store to hear a cab I was thinking of buying and was quite surprised by the tone,power,quietness more important price of this amp. I will deffinately be watching for a good used one to pop up.
  7. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Ampeg SVT-100. I use it because it was a fun amp to restore and has a great growl. It's been said to sound very similar to a V4B. I've never personally used one, but from the couple I've heard at my old job(running sound), I'd agree.
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I'm currently running an Aguilar DB680 preamp into a DB728 poweramp, and running that into an Aguilar GS212 cabinet. Sounds great with my fretless but, unfortunately, not as good with my Spector. :(

Next piece of gear on my want list is a new fretted bass (Probably a Jazz... thinking of a Lakland Skyline JO5). Eventually, I may add a GS210 cabinet to help cut through the mix better, but that won't be for quite a while.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've wondered a lot about this comment. How do you know it's "uncolored"? What if, in reality, what you don't like is an uncolored sound, rather, you like the way the Glock colors your sound, and that is what you use to compare other rigs. Maybe an Eden WT-800 is the "uncolored" sound, but that's not what you like?

It's like, what if the color we both call blue is really blue to me, but what you're seeing is green?
  10. jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    then one of you is colorblind haha. unless both of you are and it turns out the color is like black.
  11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I called it that because I've compared the head in different recordings with recordings of the bass alone and the sound is exactly the same with or without the amp. In addition, I've tried the amp with a lot of different cabinets, including some extreme hi-fi speakers and the sound is different with each.

If the head was producing a sound of its own, I would expect that there would be some similarities between the sounds from the different cabinets and that there would be diffences between the recorded sound of the bass, with and without the amp.

Maybe the amp does have coloration, but it certainly has less than any other amp I've heard!

Dan K.
  12. Line6 Pod PRO -> Carvin DPC1000 -> Bergi HT/EX112
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Demeter VTBP-201S -> QSC PLX1602 -> Bergantino HT322

Rich, tubey, organic, punchy, big & bold tone.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  17. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Ampeg SVT 3Pro -> SansAmp Bass Driver DI -> Ampeg SVT 1540, cause I like to push air. OK, so I never get to turn it up but I like knowing I have plenty of headroom and I dig the way it sounds. :D
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've used G-K's, Ampeg's tube and tube/ss models, and Peavey in the past. As far as the heads I've tried, my personal favorite is an early 70's Ampeg SVT, but I also like the current SVT-CL. It's eq section is very easy to use, and IMO it's hard to sound bad through an SVT. The SVT-4 is also a great sounding head if you prefer a tube/ss head.

I have a G-K1001RB in the 2-10" combo form that's a real workhorse. For a punchy, clean tone, they're great. G-K's eq section was a little harder for me to get used to, but I'm now accustomed to it, I feel it works really well.

From a value and reliability standpoint, IMO the Peavey heads are hard to beat.