What Bass Head Sounds Like an Eden WT800 but is Reliable at 400 + Watts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djp420, Jan 16, 2020.

1. djp420

djp420

Sep 14, 2019
    Brooklyn
    Hello,
    I've been an Eden user since the mid 90's. I've had the WT400, WT260 and the WT80. All 3 are amazing sounding but they have a tendency to over heat and or die. What head would deliver a similar sound as 90's era Eden but be reliable?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
  2. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    All brands are prone to some gremlins here and there. With that being said, the Mesa M6 and M9 Carbine come to mind as amps that can approximate what a WT800 can do.

If you "warm-up" the signal, a GK 700RB could be a teaser. You can milk just about any amp for a certain tone if you stay at it long enough.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2020
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I'd consider a Demeter (designer of the original Eden pre) preamp pedal run through the FX return of your li'l Marcus.....there was one available used for not too much cake in the TB classifieds recently.

Hubris likes this.
  4. brstma

brstma my dog is an awesome dog Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Florida
    Could get an eden preamp and separate power amp as another option

5. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    yup... Eden pre and a Jay Ganz Straight Ahead power amp, and yer golden

6. djp420

djp420

Sep 14, 2019
    Brooklyn
    Anyone have experience with Genz Benz? I read somewhere...can't remember where that a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 may have a similar sound. Unfortunately I haven't found a place where I can try one out. I can't believe any amp properly dialed in will generate the the same/similar sound especially the Mark Bass Little Marcus. I've been noodling with that amp for 6 months and no matter what I dial or fx I use it's still pretty meh to my ears.

I use the Eden WT260 at home and smaller gigs/jams and its great until it gets hot. Unfortunately my practice space has no AC. When playing in the summer heat it crashes :(

On positive not the Mark Bass head seems to handle the heat fine...Ill find out more this coming summer.

7. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    wt550

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Eden preamp DI into your Markbass - bypassing the Markbass preamp.

djp420 and scowboy like this.
  9. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.

I have a Genzler MG800 - (made by Genz Benz founder) great amp, very versatile. Used for over 3 years, no issues. Personaly better sound capability than Edens I have tried.

It was moved into the rehearsal studio, after I recently got a Bergantino B|Amp (best and most versatile amp I have ever played on before). The Berg is my new gig rig. The Berg can sound like anything you want. And is highly respected in the industry for its quality also.

Genzler MG800
    upload_2020-1-17_10-6-18.jpeg

Bergantino B|Amp
    upload_2020-1-17_10-7-13.jpeg

Attached Files:

imabuddha and djp420 like this.
  10. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    another vote for wt550, maybe the wtx 500

djp420 and Lazy1 like this.
  11. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I keep an Eden WTDI and also an Eden Navigator around for just this reason. But for an amp, I'm another Bergantino guy, Forte' HP in my case.

12. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I am also a fan of the Eden tone. Never had an over heating problem with them. Genz Benz can get you close. I don't think the Streamliner would get you where you want to be though. It is very tubey and warm and is closer tonally to an SVT IMHO. However, the Shuttle might. I had a Streamliner 900, but I'm now running a Shuttle 9.0. It can sound like a punchy Eden. I also had a Neopak and ran that side by side with an Eden WT300 and could get almost an identical tone out of both. The Shuttle sounds very close to the Neopak IMHO.

djp420 likes this.
  13. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.

djp420 likes this.
  14. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Had a genz benz 12.0.
    Excellent clean hifi like head. 2 600W amps, plenty of power. Extensive and highly usable eq on both channels plus main outs.

djp420 likes this.
  15. I gigged the snot out of a WT-600, the power section started having issues years ago... Would like to get it repaired, as I dearly love the sound of it.

Consider using your existing Eden as a preamp, paired with a power amp.

16. jellymax

jellymax Don't fry any wooden fish

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    i have a wt400. its a killer head.

djp420 likes this.
  17. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I'm not sure you would find the GB Streamliner and Eden to have the same vibe going on. Maybe more like a GB Shuttle. Or the Genzler Magellan.
    What about a used Thunderfunk? The control lay out would feel pretty familiar, and they are pretty great amps.

BTW, the Streamliner is a killer amp, and an unbelievable value for what they are going for used

djp420 likes this.
  18. djp420

djp420

Sep 14, 2019
    Brooklyn
    Isn't the sound of them Edens great!! I've played through a lot of different heads over the years, I love the way it pushes air. I was playing through my little Eden 260 last night and decided to pull the Mark Bass Little Marcus 500 out of my rack. Goodbye Little Marcus I need more color.

19. djp420

djp420

Sep 14, 2019
    Brooklyn
    Last night I took my little Eden WTX260 to rehearsal and A,B'd the Mark Bass Little Marcus 500 to it. Forgive me for sounding like an advert for Eden but I love the sound they produce. The way the Eden pushes the air around the room motivates me even at lower levels. Playing last night I thought about what it is that draws me to Eden's heads. It's their punch (I don't engage the compression), the deep clear lows, the mids are lively, with the gain pushed a little (set at noon) there is a pleasant distortion in the top end allowing me to make clearly defined ghost notes and cool clacking when needed (think of Steve Harris galloping and smacking the frets/pickup). I usually set my controls for noon-ish.

Last night I decided to pull the plug on the Marcus and I bought a used Eden 550. Thank you everyone for your help and knowledge sharing.

20. JamAdd85

JamAdd85

Oct 11, 2014
    West Michigan
    There is an Eden head for sale locally that I've been looking at. I haven't played thru an Eden in a long time and I'm not sure I remember what they sound/feel like. How would they compare to a GK RB series as far as the tone?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022