What bass head will give me a real fat reggae sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamieh1200, Jan 26, 2003.

1. jamieh1200

Jan 24, 2003

i dont know too much about what bass heads are good quality and which artfe renound for giving certain sounds. i want a real deep, fat, warm reggae bass sound. i just dont know where to start looking.

cheers for ur time

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well I have two suggestions. A good tube amp, or warm amp in general such as an SVT or Ashdown will likely do you well here. My other suggestion is to have gobs of clean SS power and use some processors, such as EQ, the alembic SF-2, or the DBX subharmonic synth to get you the bassy tone.

Both will work, but they'll be very different from each other.

Also, you should determine if your speakers can handle this type of tone at whatever volume you need it at. Your bass and playing style will also contribute to getting the sound you want.
  3. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    big tube amp
    even bigger speakers

ie SVT (300 watts all tube)
    and a couple of 15" cabs

or you could go really crazy and run an 18 or two

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    I f you really want a short answer without going into the questions of taste, and budget, Ampeg SVT is the classic big sound. The head and 8x10 cab are hard to beat. (and haul ;))
  5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

Robbie Shakespeare runs a Warwick rig.

Familyman Barrett runs an Eden rig.
  6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I like both players but I really like Family Man.

Oct 16, 2002
    New Orleans
    Agreed, I said 8x10, but 15s and 18s for reggae makes sense. And the suggestion for Sub-harmonizer would do swell as well. So, lets see.....2-18 subs, with 2 2-15s on top o that, with 2-SVT heads and Sub-Harmoniser......deep enough guys? :D
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Just about any decent quality head from any reputable company is going to sound good if there is lots of power. Bigger speakers such as 15's and 18's help and flatwounds on your bass might help as well.
  9. ClashCityRocker

Jan 21, 2003
    hey i play pretty much reggea in my band.And to my surprise the svt410hlf has much more low end sound than a regular ampeg 15".Thats why i downsized and just got rid of my 15".These 4-10" seem to have that nice warm low end.
  10. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I get a *killer* dub tone from my Ampeg SVT400T (solid state) amp. I run it bridged into an SWR Goliath II (4x10).

The real keys are my DoD FX25b envelope filter and Sansamp BDDI tone settings.

I get super subharmonic bass.

I'd go with any high powered amplifier and decent amount of speaker surface area. The envelope filter (set so it never "opens") is awesome.

11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    For smaller clubs I use a Peavey Firebass head and a Bag End 15.

For larger clubs I add a Genz Benz 2-12.

No effects except occasional compression, either a EBS pedal set on tubeSim mode or a dbx rack unit.

Also flatwound strings are a must IMO.
  12. DOD FX25. All you need for massive deep dub tones. My new Alembic F-1X gives me some of the most harmonically rich and low-reaching fundamental tones that I have ever heard. I heartily recommend this preamp for dub +reggae; sounds like buttah. The tones are so deep that I haven't even needed to use my new SF-2 and am seriously thinking of retiring my DBX 120XP (for now!)
    I would recommend 12's for reggae. If you like 10's you will need lot's of them for any serious depth. 15's might not give you the definition you need, at least, that was my experiance. 4x12's get's me everywhere I wanna go....but an 18" might be on the horizon soon! 12's give you a rich, meaty tone and are the bomb for fingerstyle, just make sure they extend deep enough.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa...that's a whole lotta patch cords there! I would be scared to have something like that at my feet...
  14. Well, thye are all (in theory at least, ) held in place nice and tight by tension and velcro; lots of it. Never had a probelm. That CPR switcher takes my signal directly to my preamp, bypassing the whole kaboodle if neccesary. Only two cords this way; in/out.
  15. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Why do you need all that gear for "massive deep vibes"?
  16. If you have to ask.....
  17. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I just know that Familyman and Flabba and practically no other reggae bassist I have ever heard have used effects. Laswell a notable exception, but I dont really like most of his stuff that much.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    My guess would be that Robbie Shakespeare uses some effects based on the tone that he gets and he's definitely not too bad, right? ;)
  19. I enjoy copping those fat, rippely analog moog bass lines, the sounds of an SVT bursting at the seams, pushed to the limit but played softly ala' Family man. It's all about moving air for me. I try to use effects in a subtle way, build textures rather than hit you in the face with their obviousness. I enjoy the very physical presence that a bass guitar can convey. Flabba and Family man used all sorts of techniques (or "effects" if you will) to put this across. Turning their old Ampegs as loud as they would go, touching the strings lightly, this will produce deep subharmonics. This is all I do as well. Listen to my weblink files to hear that gear in action, you'll see what I mean...I hope!