1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass instructional books have you "finished"?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by James_E, Apr 3, 2009.

1. James_E

James_E

Jan 26, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably alot of books can never be "finished"...

But what books have you got through completely. Played everything in there, or studied it and generally "know it". (Or provide your own definition of "finished")

me: only one, when I was taking formal classical guitar lessons for a while: Classic Guitar Studies by Aaron Shearer (The red book)

I have set a goal to "finish" Ed Friedland's Bass Method (Complete Edition). I've started and stopped this many times. I'm starting back at the beginning and I'm going to patiently work my way to "finishing" it.

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I am teaching myself soley with this method. I have finished one book, front to back, having learned all the exercises. I started a second book; "Ron Carter Building Jazz Bass Lines" but I didn't feel as though my reading skills were good enough to continue it so I switched to the Ed Friedland book.

I am currently almost half way through book 3. I started at page 1 of book 1 and have worked my way through every exercise of every page, not moving ahead until I have an exercise down pat. I've noticed quite an improvment in my playing.

I've got a whole list of books that I'm going to do the same thing with. As soon as I finish Bass Method I'll be studying "Blues Bass The Complete Method" also published by Hal Leonard. After that I'm going back to the Ron Carter book and after that I plan on completing "What Duck Done". After that, the James Jamerson book. And then I'm not sure what next.

That should keep me going for quite awhile but I have a long list of things compiled. "The Evolving Bassist" looks really good. So does "Sight Reading for Bass" by Ron Velosky. I'm still kinda scared to go through books without CD accompaniment so I'm not sure when I'll get to those. I'm also very interested in studying some of McCartney's licks. I'm sure I'll have that much figured out by the time I get there but I'm looking forward to the time when I do!

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Hal Leonard Bass method books 1, 2, and 3.
    Suzuki method volumes 1-3
    Those are the ones I've "completed".

4. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Jaco's DZVD, Shadow Of Motown, R&B Bass Greats, Latin Bass............

Pretty much everything except Simandl

5. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland. Great book!
    Note Reading Studies for Bass by Arnold Evans

I'm now working in these:

Expanding Walking Basslines-
    Bass Improvisation- both by Ed Friedland
    60 Melodic Etudes by John Patitucci
    The Bass Bible by Paul Westwood

Hope to add them all to the "finished" list one day

6. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Umm...just "Bass Guitar for Dummies", I think. I'm working on "Mastering the Piano", by Carl Humphries, if that helps.