Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass is being played here??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 15, 2005.

1. What bass is being played on the Jet song, "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?". I had thought it was an EB-3 played through a 15", but I could be wrong. I want that sound!

2. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    i believe it is a fender 50's Precision bass. I'm not a hundred percent sure but i believe it is a bass that actually belongs to Jets producer Dave Sardy and not the bassist Mark Wilson. It stills has the original pickup cover on it. There was an interview a couple months back in Bass Player I believe with Mark Wilson that can tell you more. Another great example of that bass is when he plays it at the beggining of Lazy Gun, you can really hear the Precisions thump. It do not think it is a pre-57 but i am pretty sure its a late 50s pbass...59 maybe

3. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    yeah sounds like a precision with flats.

4. I had thought about installing an EB-3 neck pickup on a P-Bass, but could I get that thumpy sound just using a P-Bass?? Roll the tone off and install flats?

5. So, just a Precision with flats?? That's easy!

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    In the video he's using an Epi bass. Not sure on the model. A signature model, nonetheless.

7. silent parts

silent parts

Apr 17, 2005
    It's a Jack Casady Epi he's got in the video. I'm not sure what the song/album was recorded on, but live i've seen him using the Epi and a vintage Precision, the only thing i can recall about it is that it has a bridge and pickup covers....possibly sunburst finish...

Edit : Just looked up a photo, it's sunburst, black pickguard, one of those finger-rests for thumb playing and a rosewood board. Also it doesn't seem to have any sort of marking on the headstock. I posted this photo in the 'cool bassists thread' but i'll post it here for reference as well:

[​IMG]

8. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Mark Wilson uses a Jack Cassady Epiphone Bass very often. However, he uses a late fifties precision in the song that belongs to Dave Hardy there producer. You can learn some more about him in the i think November or October 2004 of Bass Player.

9. Mark's a big P-bass player as far as i know. Just turn up the lows and cut some of the highs, you should be good to go.

10. So, with an SX P with a Dimarzio Model P and flats I should be able to get something like that? I know I'll only be able to get the exact sound with the exact bass, amp, cabinet, recording gear, and hands, but could I get something similar?

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    You should be able to get very, very close with that setup, yes.

12. Sweet! I love that sound, and I've been wanting to get a P-Bass anyway. Thanks!!

13. One more thing - is it fingerstyle or pick? I know most people fingerstyle flats, but I'm just checkin'.

14. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    sounds like fingerstyle

15. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    altho I think its fingerstyle, I seem to recall seeing him play with pick :confused:

16. Something dawned on me when I was watching the video and thinking I wanted to either get a Jack Cassady or EB-3 bass to get that sound. There's no reason to believe that the bass he's "playing" in the video is the one he played on the song. For all we know the lead singer is lip syncing and they're playing the vocal track from the album version.

If I can get that thumpy sort of sound using a P with flats that's good enough for me.

17. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    he plays with a pick just over the of the fret board. his p bass still has the original pickup cover on it

18. Since when did anyone play live in a music video? They're all miming, he could be playing a banana and it'd sound like the album. Took me a while to explain this to my non musical girlfriend however... :meh:

Edit: Just remembered the "last night" video by the strokes. I'll get my coat... :ninja: