1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is best for me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheIrishOx, Feb 22, 2008.

1. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    I am looking for a bass that delivers a organic tone with a slight piano like tone to the quality too. I have been looking, but I don't have a clue of which company is more likely to have the tone I am looking for. I appreciate any input to this problem I am having.

Thanks,

The Irish Ox:bassist:

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Play as many different basses as you can. Try all price ranges. The more you can do it using the same rig in the same shop, the clearer idea you will get.

Go hear people play live. Talk to them.

Keep asking, but also give more info about what you want, i.e., styles, what you have had, your irrational loves/hates, etc.

Oh, and your budget?

Btw, the answers are: Sadowsky, Lakland, Fender, G&L, MM, Valenti, and Ric (etc.) :D :D :D

3. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    probably something under $5000, I am more into progessive,fusion,jazz, and Indian.

4. All of the basses I've played with Bartolini pickups and pre-amps have had that type of sound to one degree or another. Ken Smith basses also has that type of sound.

5. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Try MTD

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Kingston?

7. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois
    really, i check'em out thanks any other companies

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I'd suggest an AB II Dignwall, as it fits the bill

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    I was wondering this a few weeks ago when I was in India, is it possible to play Indian style music on bass?
    I always thought it would be on a completely different scale.

10. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    maybe try a nice hollow or semihollow bass. that's my recommendation:)

11. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    I would suggest an MTD with a mahogany body...mhogany is know for its piano like clarity yet woody sound......A used Fodera would be cool too for what you play...........if you can find one under $5k...

12. TheIrishOx

TheIrishOx

Feb 22, 2008
    Illinois

yes,playing the carnatic style on bass is pretty neat check out jonas hellborg

13. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    an aria sb1000 has a piano type sound

14. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    Kinal, MTD, Vadim, Dere, Ken Smith