Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass is best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el_degas, Jan 12, 2002.

1. el_degas

el_degas

Dec 3, 2001
    canada
    I wanted to know if i'm just starting off learning bass what is the best bass that i could buy? I mainly want to play rock music. I was also wonderin what the advantages and disadvantages are of having a 5 string bass.

2. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    There is no such thing as "the best bass" its all a matter of opnion, but good bass has a standard, go out and try every bass over a $1,000. IMO you cant find a "good" bass for under that.

As for the five string it allows for better phrasing in your playing... at least thats what it does for me.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No good basses under $1000? News to me. ;)

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Me to....

5. "Good" is a variable term. You can get a 'good starter bass' for a couple of hundred.

There have never been so many 'good' basses around at various price points as there are now. Good time to buy.

The problem is that your question is too broad. How much money do you have and what kind of music do you want to play?

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    All of my basses are good.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Are we talking four verses five whats best? I started on I five - now I really really want to buy a four - I don't know whats best.

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    :eek:

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Basses with silvery finishes are good. And blue ones, but only if they have a maple board.

10. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    How ironic that this thread is posted right above the thread that asks members not to post anymore threads about Which bass is best.....:rolleyes:

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    search search search!!!!!

12. LOL, leave the poor guy alone. He's new.

Ok, firstly tell us what the price range for your bass and amp is, and secondly what kind of music you want to play. I mean this specificly. Give names of bands. This way more people will cooperate.

As you're probably looking for a cheap bass that can be suited to lots of different styles of music, is easy to play, sounds good and looks cool and alot more expensive than it actualy is, I recommend the ibanez GSR-200.

BTW, expect to get told that what feels and sounds best to you is what u should go for.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you beat me too it...so now im gonna have to say this

the best bass is the one that YOU think sounds and plays the best, regardless of price. ;)

now on a serious note, some decent basses for under $500 are,,,,,,,,,drum roll please

Fender MIM Dlx Active Jazz

Ibanez BTB

Ibanez Sr405 (for $299.99 its worth it and a very good buy imo)

Peavey Fury

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    MTD Kingstons....

(I know...:D)

15. The best bass is the one I have in my hand. And NONE OF YOU CAN HAVE IT!!!

Granted I stole it from Brad Johnson (no like he'll notice or anything...)

16. ...and he's from Canada. ;)

17. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    :D :D :p :p
    hahaha....

18. which ibanez btb model is under 500$?

19. The best bass is a mop and bucket with a length of clothes line.

20. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    if the shoe fits...;)