Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass is better...price and quality???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeterJ405, Sep 21, 2002.

1. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    :confused: I was looking for a new 5 string bass and came across and ibanez sr405 and sr485 ...has anyone played either ...if so can you please tell me what you think of them or if there is another bass you liked better then these??:confused:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I could probably think of about 100 or more, given time!! ;)

3. like bruce, i personally don't like the Soundgear line. if you want a great five string in that price range, you should check out the MTD kingston, which gets nothing but raves around here.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I will second what DHC said.

I am not sure what the soundgear 405's are bringing right now, but I would guess that for just a little more, you could get into a Ibanez BTB405, which IMHO is twice the bass that the soundgear is.

5. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    thanks but do you know any good sites or dealers who sell the mtd kingston the cheapest

6. IMO-for the price there is no better 5 stringer than an MTD Kingston. Check out Adrian Garcia's website from time to time, he stocks them pretty regularly. www.access-bass.com

7. In case you're wondering, a lot of TBers, me included, are not overly excited about Soundgear basses (5's) due to narrow string spacing and mediocre B string.

8. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    Do you know what makes the Heir more expensive then the Kingston? And is the Heir worth the extra money?:confused:

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It has an extra pickup, and comes standard with a flamed maple top, which is a $150 option on the Kingston.

10. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    Does anyone know a dealer Near Orlando FL, who sells the MTD Bass line?:confused:

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I was wondering about this... so you don't like 5's: But why do soundgear 4's also get a bad vibe? My 640 seems decent for the money I paid, and it looks great. Can someone please explain?:confused:

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The reason that the 4's get a bad vibe is because a lot of them have spaghetti necks. You can bend a note a whole step sharp or flat with little effort.

13. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    Is it worth spending the money to get a Heir instead of the Kingston....Can you hear a big difference?:confused:

14. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Ahhh... I see

Thanks...:(

:p

15. Yes, IMO the j-pup gives a great deal more versatility and the flamage makes it much more attractive. Whether it is worth it to you is very subjective-hear it for yourself. www.access-bass.com has sound clips of slap and fingerstyle on both the heir and kingston. One question though-are you getting this as your first bass? Or is this just your first 5er?

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I actually found an Ibanez that I would actually use! It was an older 6 string, with a blue finish and soapbar pups. It played and sound pretty good, and the string spacing was not that tight. The B was even decent. So now I can't ever say categorically that I would never use and Ibanez.
    poo.

17. PeterJ405

PeterJ405

Sep 21, 2002
    this is my first five string i have a four string squier right now and hate it ive had it for 4years

18. Ok, then I would definetly reccomend the Heir. A more experienced player would most assuredly be able to recognize the difference between the two basses.

19. Check out Bass Central in Orlando. www.basscentral.com

Say "Hi" to Gard for me :D

20. It doesn't look like there is a whole lotta difference in the price of these basses. The 485 body is made from mahogany and the 405 is probably bass wood. Just play the things and see which one you like the tone of the most. I'm sure that the neck and string spacing will be the same on both basses. There are a lot of people who love Ibanez basses. They offer a wide selection at a reasonable price. Can you do better for the same money? The Lakland Skyline 5501 at $699 comes to my mind. It's about $100 more than what you are looking at and is truly worth every penny.

jmho