1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is Don Was using?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ole Jason, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Feel free to move this to the Bassists forum if that is a better fit. Anyone know the maker of the big bass Don Was uses with Bob Weir? Check out that upper bout and those wild tuners! Looks similar to some American Standards but I'm not sure. I didn't have much luck Googling an answer.

bob-weir-wolf-bros-blakesberg-sweetwater-8-1480x832.jpg

bobweir_laura-beltran-villamizar_wide-2ad7da96f1624beec280f8797515dda67a17b7c3.jpg

BarfanyShart and Seanto like this.
  2. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    What bass? I didn't get past the hot harpsichord player

jchrisk1 and Brad_Pearson like this.
  3. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    Harp.

4. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Nice bass reasonably well played. Bob needs to retire.

5. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Yeah, I realized that after I sent it.

6. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    NEEDED to retire about 20 years ago. FIFY

salcott likes this.
  7. kinnon64

kinnon64

Jun 9, 2009

I don't know anything about this style of music, but I really enjoyed listening to Only a River. I will listen to the whole concert on my train ride tonight. Just for me to get a better understanding of the genre, what makes you say he needs to retire?

8. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I didn't know he played upright. I met him once. I was just rolling the bass down the street. I was thinking who is this guy getting in that car. He saw me and came over and said hi.

9. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I didn’t know Yukon Cornelius played guitar.

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Mikaela Davis.

Playing with Weir and Was is a dream gig for a young singer / player -- each of those guys can open doors. And she sounds nice, both playing and singing. After all these years I bet Weir relishes the chance to try any different, positive musical wrinkle.

AND YOU THOUGHT TOTING A DB WAS TROUBLE!

iammr2, Reiska and yodedude2 like this.
  11. MLysh

MLysh

Oct 11, 2007
    MD/DC/VA
    "...what makes you say he needs to retire?"

A deep misunderstanding of what he does.

12. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I really liked this NPR performance. I don't what the bass is, but the big shoulders indicate that it is a pretty old orchestra bass. Sounds good.
    Mikaela Davis, however, is the real star. It's hard to jam on a harp, she sounded great.

13. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    You can see some details from 22:22 onwards. Huge cello-like shoulders, and what looks like a very odd and substantial shim between the neck and the fingerboard. Even after this repair there is hardly any overstand. Whatever it is it's very old and funky, and sounds great.

Anybody know someone who knows him? Maybe if he's asked nicely...

Sam Sherry likes this.
  14. Good eye, I didn't catch that shim at first. I can't recall ever seeing anything like that, why not replace the whole neck? The lack of overstand is interesting. Makes you wonder how a, presumably old, nice instrument was never converted over the years. Not sure how tall Don is but it is obviously a big bass, I'd be surprised if he could comfortably get up into thumb position playing standing.

15. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Judging by Don's technique I'd be surprised if thumb position is part of his "vocabulary". :D

salcott and ole Jason like this.
  16. haha True enough. His career is a little outside my areas of interest but I gather he doesn't normally play upright from what I read when I was looking for information on the bass.

bass12 likes this.
  17. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I know him as a producer who has played electric on various recordings. He's one of my favourite producers, in fact - and he can borrow my Simandl book anytime he wants. :p

Rebop likes this.
  18. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Well, Mr. Was does utilize an atypical Left Hand Approach on Upright Bass, but I don't necessarily think he should be incarcerated for it!
    Thanks! (from just another Don, Not a Was, and, Not a Not Was.)

Selim likes this.
  19. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    He’s also the president of Blue Note records.

Reiska, lrhbass and bass12 like this.
  20. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I could have done without seeing bare caveman feet in a live performance...

OldFenderPlayer likes this.