1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass is Mike using here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Apr 25, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Hey people as the title says really, what bass is mike dirnt using here, its from around 1994-1995 its not his G3. I think I heard that it was a Marauder bass(spelling?)Has anyone got better pics of this bass?

Thanks

mikebass.

2. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Kramer with an aluminum neck, I think from the 80's.

Remember those!!

3. It's a Kramer(you can tell by the headstock) though I have no clue what model. The cool thing with those was the aluminium neck which gave them a bright sound. Fairly heavy though.

4. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    ah ha thats cool, I never knew what that was ill try and search on google for kramer and see what comes up. I used to own a kramer pbass, but it was really not that good,I cant complain as I got it for £5 off of a mate then I sold it on lol

Theres another bass that mike used to use which I would like to know what it was but I havnt got any decent pics of it. Was back in 1990,Ill try and find a decent pic

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Those Kramer's were 'a bad idea well executed'.... nasty, nasty instruments... and they weighted A TON!

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Not too bad though if your amp was positioned properly to rest the headstock on! :D

:bag:

7. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Kramer alumaneck.
    For anyone in the Chicago area, the last time I lived there (3 years ago), Guitar Exchange out in Lakeview/Wrigleyville had a bunch of these in their vintage collection.

8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I know, I owned two of them!

:rollno:

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

All Kramer's were not that bad,I know some hardcore Funk & R&B Bass players that had a killer sound coming from their aluminum neck Kramer.

10. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

My first REAL bass was a Kramer XL-9 .
    Dual Dimarzio P pups
    stereo out jacks.
    Sounded like a grand piano
    Weighed A Ton!
    I never had any problems with it.

I've seen a couple on the bay just could'nt pull the trigger:crying:

11. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

That's a Mid '70s era . I'm pretty sure.

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Mike Dirnt looked like a dork!

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, I owned an XL-7. I loved the look, I loved the tone, but the neck weight was ridiculous.

14. Kramers were great when they were american made. before the brand went overseas and became another in the list of good names used to hock subpar merchandise.
    Mike Dirnt IS a dork. One of the most boring bass players ever. Right up there with michael anthony. Strange I dont recall ever seeing him with a Kramer, he used to always have a GRabber or Ripper or something

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Calaverasgrande, looks like you're judging his playing based on "American Idiot". Listent to their early albums such as Dookie and Insomniac and you'll find out why he's so popular and that he's a "punk" player who can actually play. His playing on the earlier records is way busier than Mr. Anthony's ever was. He downright overplays most of the time.

16. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    If you think Mike is a 'dork' based simply on that picture then thats fairly stupid. Do you reckon if you were suddenly touring every single day like they did do you think you would have time to make yourself 'look good'? Its not about looks its about the sound and how that sound is made.

Listen to Green Days really old stuff like from Smooth Out Slappy Hours or Kerplunk. Try listening to a song called I Was There from Smooth Out Slappy Hours. The bass is constantly on the move.

Try listening to No One Knows off of Kerplunk, melodic bass intro which is NOT boring. Or even Stuck With Me off Insomniac thats got some good fills throughout the song.

Also final note, if Mike is a 'boring' player a)why do a lot of people respect him? and b)why would he still be in Green Day if he was boring?

17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i had a kramer - it had a turtle tail and maple center block with walnut wings- it was my unofficial introduction to boutique basses, until i found Mike Tobias in '84
    my Kramer was kool.

18. And i think most of the look in that picture is because that was from before they had money. and were still just poor kids from oakland

19. Relax.

But I agree, he does look like a dork in that picture. Much like many of us did 10 years ago. ;)