1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass is that he's playing? Brazilian bassist content.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Apr 27, 2009.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Anyone? No all knowing bass guru's?

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I can't view youtube from work.

4. 1. Give it a little more than two hours- some of us have lives(not me, of course :)).
    2. No idea. I think dude purposely posed it so's all you can see is a badly-angled shot of the headstock. Nice playing.

5. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I can't tell-BUT MY MAN IS SERIOUSLY LAYING IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great tone!!!!!!!!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

6. birdie num nums

birdie num nums

Dec 20, 2006
    It seemed like a Smith headstock to me...

7. thats EXACTLY what i wish i sounded like :/
    (jealousy setting in...)

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Definitely not a Smith but sure sounds like one. Man, this is a rough one. I sent the cat a message but he's not responding. Others have asked as well.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Any Brazilian bassists on the forum?

10. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    looks like a V and possibly an M on the headstock,...about all I can gleam from the camera angle.

11. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    I've got no idea what the bass is but it is almost certainly a custom made Brazilian instrument which is not known in the states or Europe. I'd imagine there are lots of small custom builders in a place like Brazil.

Here in Ukraine new US Fenders and Musicman basses sell for around about $2500. MIMs around $1500, Squiers around $650. European stuff like Warwicks are cheaper than in the States but still not cheap. But, you can find a local luthier who will build you something custom with top of the line hardware, US made pickups, and good quality woods for around $1000-2000. I'd imagine the situation is similar in Brazil, which means a lot of custom builders.

Try asking Alex Costa what it is. He's Brazilian and seems to know about luthiers there.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would but unless there's another Alex Costa, he has never posted here since he joined in 2006.

13. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Sorry, my bad. Try Allex Costa. He's around.

14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Same brand played here:

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks Allex!

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nice. The instruments on his website are just blatant Fodera copies- normally I wouldn't bother making that statement because anything can be seen as either "copied from" or "inspired by" depending on your perspective...but the words under the pictures say "F Imperial", "F Emperor" and "F Emperor II".

Lame.

If he's clearly capable of building good instruments, so it's always a little disconcerting when they're clearly in the business of making copies for people who don't want to/can't buy the real thing. It's not like I own a Fodera, but it would be kind of weird to approach a luthier (or be one) with the knowledge that I actually want someone else's product.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Two things I noticed...

1. They look Fodera-inspired to me, different enough to not be mistaken for real Foderas by anyone who actually knows what one looks like. IOW not blatant copies.

2. He has a link to Fodera on his website under links.

18. Belka

Belka

Dec 10, 2003
    Kiev, Ukraine

19. How many companies make jazz bass copies? P bass copies? Heck, even Fodera and Ken Smith are making Jazz and P bass copies. I think the time to start shouting the term lame, is about as past as the term "lame" itself is. Everybody copies everyone else, and a stellar product like a Jazz, a Fodera, a Ken Smith, are not above or to good to be copied. They copy as well, get over it. Fodera NYC anyone? KSD Jazz?

20. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    DAMN can he play!