Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bass is the man Robbie Shakespeare Playing???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reggaeman, Jul 12, 2005.

1. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
  2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    That's a Paul Reed Smith, he's been playing them for a long time.

3. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Wow... I was searching on the net for a PRS bass and you can't even find them. I found one on ebay but it was going for 4k. Hah. I guess you wouldn't get a bass like this unless you're rich or you're a pro.

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Actually he's one of the few people that like them, anyone who slaps hates the neck pickup. 4k is way too much since it was discontinued for a while for not selling. I think I've seen them go for under a grand but there's not too many of them.

Hey, if you're a fan are you familiar with Kazumi Watanabe's CD MOBO II with dual rhythm sections, Sly & Robbie - Omar Hakim and Marcus Miller? Wicked!

5. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    That is the first series of Paul Reed Smith basses. $4000 is outrageous for that bass. I would say a more accurate price would be $1000 or less. IIRC they are not a collectable bass and are only sought out by reggae players.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've got one. He plays the earlier ones, but you should be able to find one of the newer models around.

A word of warning: Mine plays unbelieveably, but has about 2 good sounds in it. Luckily, one of those sounds is a truely subterranian reggae sound that simply kills. If you do a search around here, I've posted a few times in detail about it.

7. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Wow! That sounds killer. I'll definitley be checking that out.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    One of these will get you that tone at a fraction of the cost.

[​IMG]

9. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
  10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As a short answer, he's probably using both 8x10 cabs on the stage...there's one on the other side of the drums, without a head. I see frequent pictures with 8x10 ampeg cabs, and both new and old ampeg heads...but I'm going to guess that these are provided backline for him.

Most of the reggae bands out there don't carry backline. As Jamaican artists, they fly with their instruments to either the Europe or the Americas and tour with a backline provided for them at each individual venue. In a show like the one those pictures are from, it's a 'multi' band or festival show, so its likely that the SWR is from another band. As a person who's played shows like this, the contract riders read somewhat flexable. Fer instance, it will say:

"To be provided to the artist:1 bass amplifiers with at least (1)8x10 speaker cabinet - (1) 4x10 and (1) 1x15 cabinet can substitute if 8x10 is not availible. Amplifier head is to be Ampeg SVT tube head, or other head of 'like' wattage. All cords, cables, DI to be included.

I've shown up to play some of these shows and also provide backline (its a nice little trick to get booked as opener and 'rent' your backline and make some extra cash)...Luckily, I have a decent bass rig, an old Fender Twin, etc.

11. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    If only I could find a way to post the pic of what Flabba is Playing!

12. "$4000 is outrageous for that bass."
    Guitar Center. Need I say more?
    BurningSkies, we should meet so you can hear what the '80s freakazoid can do. Gigging near Albany soon?
    Duder, I gotta disagree with you...the Magnum is rough, but position #2 on the PRS is brutal, and the fingerboard edges are rolled better. The Ovation I played in NO was way too sharp on the sides, but the neck probably didn't wander around as much, either.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    That's because the Ovation Magnum was the first bass to use graphite in the neck.

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Very early PRS fretless 8 string with High-A pickups in it I saw at NAMM....now this one I'd like.

[​IMG]

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That bass is high at 4k. But I do think that 1k or less is shooting too low. They're generally running between 1400 and 2000 when I see them selling. I got my 2nd generation PRS bass new, but shop worn for 800, and while I feel like the list price of 2200 was way too much, it was a bargain at 800. The thing that kills me is that it plays like a 2200$ bass, but has serious shortcomings when it comes to tonal variety. The active-yet-one-tone-control thing drives me nuts. It goes from a thump thats too deep for even reggae to clanky on the top end...and there's this one little sweet spot that's about 1/10th of a turn of the tone control up, and it's right-amazing.

16. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal

Yep, he speaks the truth.

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's cool...we haven't been playing Albany, mostly due to the fact that I had a few bad experiences a bunch of years back at Valentines and Bogies...I was in a different band at the time, but every time we played that area there was violence and badness... :(

Any good places to book there these days?

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    He lives in Troy, NY dude.....don't go there...trust me on this...buy a Magnum, string it with Rotosound RS77EL Monel Flats and don't go to Troy, NY.... :eyebrow:

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Been there too...played a theater at Renssalaer back a few years...that wasn't too bad.

I'm sure the Ovation is good, but these days I'm playing my Dingwall, and would like either another 'higher grade' model of his or an F Bass 5 string (think he'd make a fan fret one for me?).

20. reggaeman

reggaeman

Jul 12, 2005
    SoCal

Hehe the Ovation Magnum. That is one strange beast. For now I will just be sticking with my Fender Jazz.

Stay tuned for some high production quality killer dub!