What bass is this Guild?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taylor Scott, Sep 29, 2005.

1. My mom's boyfriend just gave me a project to work on. It was an old bass of a friends who now lives in Florida. It appears to be a 60's Guild Starfire, serial number BA 294, but that's about as much as I know.
    Some idiot sanded the finish off thinking that would be a cool look, but didn't complete the job - it's bare wood now. I don't think the tuners are original either - they say gibson on the back and are the wrong style. It has a single pickup and one thumbrest, although there are more screw holes left unfilled by parts.
    I am going to refinish it in maybe a sunburst, but I would like to see a picture of one that has an original finish on it.

Does anyone have one similar to it? Can you give me a pic? Thanks.

BTW-there is a piece of paper inside the F-holes that says Guild BA 294, but a google image search reveals nothing.

Attached Files:

2. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    What you have there is an very early vintage mid '60s Starfire bass.
    This model pre-dates the use of the Hagstrom Bi-sonic pickup. (basspickup.com) It's been refinsished down to the natural mohogany.
    My advice is to keep it "as is" except to make sure everything is in working order.
    It's a collectors item of sorts.
    I'm going to alert Hans Moust, the writer of the "Guild Guitar Book". He'll want a serial # from you if you have one. He keeps a database.
  3. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I have an old Guild Bass from 1974, let him know I have a serial number for him aswell
  4. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    BA 294 is '66, I believe. I had a lefty '66, and it was BA 317 or 318 (I have it written down at home; I'll edit this post for Hans Moust). Until now I thought I had the only one with a single small Hagstrom pickup...