1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass is this Guild?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taylor Scott, Sep 29, 2005.

1. My mom's boyfriend just gave me a project to work on. It was an old bass of a friends who now lives in Florida. It appears to be a 60's Guild Starfire, serial number BA 294, but that's about as much as I know.
    Some idiot sanded the finish off thinking that would be a cool look, but didn't complete the job - it's bare wood now. I don't think the tuners are original either - they say gibson on the back and are the wrong style. It has a single pickup and one thumbrest, although there are more screw holes left unfilled by parts.
    I am going to refinish it in maybe a sunburst, but I would like to see a picture of one that has an original finish on it.

Does anyone have one similar to it? Can you give me a pic? Thanks.

BTW-there is a piece of paper inside the F-holes that says Guild BA 294, but a google image search reveals nothing.

Attached Files:

2. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
    What you have there is an very early vintage mid '60s Starfire bass.
    This model pre-dates the use of the Hagstrom Bi-sonic pickup. (basspickup.com) It's been refinsished down to the natural mohogany.
    My advice is to keep it "as is" except to make sure everything is in working order.
    It's a collectors item of sorts.
    I'm going to alert Hans Moust, the writer of the "Guild Guitar Book". He'll want a serial # from you if you have one. He keeps a database.

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I have an old Guild Bass from 1974, let him know I have a serial number for him aswell

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    BA 294 is '66, I believe. I had a lefty '66, and it was BA 317 or 318 (I have it written down at home; I'll edit this post for Hans Moust). Until now I thought I had the only one with a single small Hagstrom pickup...

[​IMG]