1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bass is this? JC live @ San Quentin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbully, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I picked up a copy of live at San Quentin last week and love it. It brings back so many memories of listening to this album with my Dad as a kid. Dad who passed away a few days after Christmas this year was a huge JC fan. I love this bass tone and its what I try to get in my band.

Anyhow what bass is the bass player in Johnnys band playing..Dano? flats for sure. I wonder what the amp was? I would love that setup..anyone?

http://youtu.be/N5Ts4M3irWM

2. The bass is an Epiphone, I don't know the model. I'd bet the house he's playing flats.

3. I think is either the Wilshire or something like that. Very interesting basses. I think they made the single mudbucker version and even one with the mini humbucker in the bridge. Very cool basses with their own twist on the Gibson bass theme. One with flats would have the thump.

4. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    'Round these here parts JC typically means Justin Chancellor. :D

5. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Cool! Once one of you said it was and Epiphone I started searching and it was a Epiphone Newport. They came with one humbucker or two. Cool basses going for big bucks today.

6. +1 on the Epiphone bass- not sure of the model. The amp looks like an Ampeg B-15

7. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Not for me, it doesn't. :D

8. Had a chance to get one years ago cheap with the mudbucker and mini-bucker on the cheap. Thing was it had a hideous pink rattlecan spray job even on the fingerboard. Played and felt great, better than any EB-3 I have ever played.

9. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Yup. a Newport. And to his credit, T Bone Burnett got it right in the movie.

10. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Who ?

11. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I would like to find one cheap. Most are going for $1500 and up on the bay.