1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is this? Steinberger hardware, wood body, no logo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Klelewon, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

I'm looking for help identifying this bass, maker and model, etc...anything really. Been googling for several weeks now with no luck. I've never seen anything like it. (Maybe it's a Zon Vinny...Zon's have logos.) Only found two grainy pictures on Ed Roman's site. (http://www.edroman.com/guitars/steinberger/repairs_upgrades_mods.htm)

Here are a few pics. Thanks in advanced!

Attached Files:

2. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    I dunno... But, I like it!

Klelewon likes this.
  3. Hi.

Looks like my idea wasn't that original after all...

Reminds me at least of a rounded up headless Billy-Bo Jupiter.

Regards
    Sam

Klelewon likes this.
  4. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow. Yes I can see what you're saying. I can definitely see the resemblance. I'll look around in this area. Thanks so much Sam!

5. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Lol. Yeah Me to! :)

6. Hi.

You're welcome.

When I made my sketch, I included fanned frets on one as well :).

Regards
    Sam

7. Be_eM

Be_eM

Jul 27, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    This is most likely a typical Ed Roman partsberger/chainsaw massacre. Knobs are original Steinberger Newburgh ones, Zen-On v4 bridge, neckplate of an XM. Not sure about the neck, but the truss rod access on the heel side says: one of the Moses necks Ed used on most of his so-called "original Newburgh Steinbergers", and also offered with his DIY Steinberger kits and as "upgrade necks". Not so original. Rants about Music Yo necks, which were also made by… Moses. Ha…

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    Klelewon and Bob_Ross like this.
  8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    $229!!! You have already bought it, right???

/rick

Klelewon and raventepes like this.
  9. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I know I would have! That's a steal!!!!

Klelewon likes this.
  10. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Be_eM, I think you might be right about the Ed Roman thing. I've only see two grainy pictures that look similar. Both are on Ed Roman's site. I didn't see any markings on the neck. Only the bridge has "Steinberger" on it. I'll dig around more on his site. Thanks for the information!

11. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah. I went a head a bought it. It's getting setup and fixed up by the Guitar Tech. I'll pick it up in a few weeks.

12. Pretty cool bass for $229. Congrats!

Klelewon likes this.
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What's wrong with it? If it just needs a basic set up, you could do it yourself in a few minutes. If you don't know how to do a basic setup, you could learn to do that in not too much more time than that, either.

14. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    There was a jack problem, intonation and string height need adjustment. I've been wanting to learn setup, but I don't have much time right now. And the setup is part of the $229 price and they offered...:)

15. Klelewon

Klelewon

Mar 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Did you ever build it? :)

16. Hi.

Sadly no, my last build from ground up was in the late 80's.

I'm planning to get back into instrument building one of these days though, and the Billy-Bo will be among the first ones that's for sure :).

Regards
    Sam