What bass is this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, Feb 13, 2001.

1. I played an awesome bass at A local store here on monday, it was a GL fivestring, it had two massive humbuckers, three knobs and three switches, does anybody know what bass this is?? its the nicest thing i ever played only it costs 1900$ and steve here doesnt have that type of cash. anyways wonderin what it is cause i'm a dumb ass and forgot to check. and none of the links on www.glguitars.com work!

aide moi s'il vous plaite!
  2. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You're right! The links no longer work. I think the bass you played is probably the L-2500.
  3. Hey Funkopotimus,
    where'd you see that? I'd like to have a look. I didn't know there was a G&L dealer down here! I've never really played a G&L, but I've heard raves about them. On another note, take a trip into Griffiths Guitar works and play the plum Spector NS-4, It's amazing! I don't have the money for either of them but I like to look!
  4. Yes that's an L-2500, but that is WAY overpriced! You should be able to get one for no more than $1000-$1100 depending on the woods and finish. I've heard of people getting them for less too.

They are terrific basses - my five string of choice.

5. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Call up bass northwest, they're always havin a gl sale
  6. Hey guys, he's talking $1900 Canadian, which is about $1200 US. Now it sounds a bit more reasonable, doesn't it?:D:D
  7. hahahaha damn canadian prices...mumbles.....Yeah thats the bass, ugghhhhhh.......drool.......They have two or three into music city spacegoat, so nice.........i wish i was old enough to get a job!! DAH!!!!!!!!!! i'll stop into griffeths next time i get a chance thanks man
  8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    In montreal you can have them for about 1800$.
  9. I'm sure both those prices could be haggled on, too. I've never payed sticker price for a bass or amp.
  10. i'm a fourteen year old who has no clue how to get a deal in talking prices, but i wish i had some way to get enough cash!!!!!!
  11. I paid $1499 CDN three years ago at Nash Music in Toronto. I do believe the prices have gone up since, especially since our dollar is less valuable now than it was then.

Again, the prices do vary depending on the woods and finish options. Mine is a tobacco sunburst - ash top with tilia back and a maple fingerboard.

Flame maple tops, ebony boards, etc. are more expensive.
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    funk -

For a 14-year-old, the approach might be, "Man, I'm gonna buy that bass, but all I've got is $1100 today, and it'll be at least a month before I can get more. I'd buy it today if I could get some slack." It should work, if the price is in the right range.
  13. now to sell as much of my parents stuff as i can to make 1100$ :)
  14. heh heh, been there done that... of course I've sold lots of my own stuff, and got into lots of trouble with various people (girlfriends, parents etc). " What do you mean you can't make your car (insurance, tuition, rent, etc) payments, you just bought a $2000 bass..." then the usual stuff about irresponsibility. I've been good lately though. Paid for my SVT by selling my SWR head and my P-bass.
  15. now space goat i'm sure you can help a fellow newfoundlander and spare some change! :) hahahahaha, oh man i'm obsessed, i wish we got paid for how much time we spent on talkbass! :)
  16. i got that sellin my parents stuff idea from a really good book called Rule Of the bone, anybody else read it, i'm in the process right now!
  17. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yeah, must have been an L-2500 you fell in love with.

Try looking at Bass Northwest funk, they have a bunch of these in right now:

Even if you don't buy, at least they have some decent pics of G&L's.

Look under 'Exotic New Basses' on their website. Don't know why the G&L's are in the 'Exotic' section, but oh well(that's not a knock against G&L, but even based on price alone, they are *not* exotics).

Expect to pay about $900 USD($1375 CAD)for the L-2000 and $900-1000 USD($1375-1528 CAD) for the L-2500. If they quote more than that, they are charging too much...

Good luck, I hope you can get hold of one somehow. Cool name by the way. :)
  18. thanks a lot man, i appreciate the help
  19. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    is that an active or passive bass?
  20. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000