What bass is this???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGeekJack, Aug 25, 2022.

1. I was just watching this video of a band I newly discovered, Windowspeak.
    mystery bass.JPG

The bass immediately caught my eye but I have no idea what it is. Anybody familiar? (If only I could zoom and enhance like they do in the movies!)

Skillet, Yrag, salmon256 and 4 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Ghastly, Gougedeye, jd56hawk and 17 others like this.
  3. Halabja

Halabja

Jul 16, 2011
    CT
    Looks like an Airline, which Eastwood has been replicating many of their guitar variations the last couple years. Not sure exactly what this particular bass is though.

Love Widowspeak’s debut record, so I’ll definitely be giving this a watch.

ashtray and BassGeekJack like this.
  4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah it's most likely the Eastwood Airline reissue, but it could possibly be an original vintage Airline from "way back when", not sure they ever did the Map shape as a bass back then though.

Halabja and BassGeekJack like this.
  5. Very cool. Thanks a bunch!

bholder likes this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I don't have that exact model, but I do have a bunch of Eastwood gear, they're pretty good value for the money, imho. Their quality has improved.

B-Mac likes this.
  7. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    An original also could be a National, or even a Supro. All three badges came from the same factory. Aside from the Eastwood there also is the contemporary Supro Huntington.

JIO, B-Mac, Dynacord and 2 others like this.
  8. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    They did, a music store near me has one on display. The vintage one in the shop has a wooden bridge though, like an acoustic guitar/bass.

Dynacord and bholder like this.
  9. Growing up in the 60s and 70s your family was either a Montgomery Wards or Sears family. We shopped at Monkey Wards.
    All of their electronics were branded Airline.
    Radios, TVs, Stereos and of course, Guitars,basses and amps.
    My first 3 amps were Airlines ( Valco made)
    When I formed a band in high school the guitar player showed up with a brand new Strat, and a Silvertone amp.
    I said " Oh, your folks shop at Sears huh"?.
    :smug:

B-Mac, rodak, 39-Bassist and 6 others like this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My college band's drummer had a National guitar (looked just like that) from...had to be the 50's or 60's - it still had the original strings on it (which were gold plated). It looked "Jetson-ish" even in the 1970's.

Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Even says airline. Eastwood.
    upload_2022-8-25_17-16-54.png

Ghastly, jd56hawk and bholder like this.
  12. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    It's an Eastwood. The tailpiece is a generic that you can buy from AliExpress.

The original National and Val-Pro was 25" scale (the Eastwood is 30.5"), and had (as far as I can tell from pics) a different tailpiece, pickup under the bridge, single magnetic pickup, and both thumbrest and tug bar.
    nvc9rfn3mgb5v2emsjbh copy.jpg (source)

Ghastly, B-Mac, jd56hawk and 3 others like this.
  13. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Ah, yeah, then - nice for a vintage piece, but yeah, I'll take the Eastwood any day thanks. ;)

B-Mac likes this.
  14. CletusMarley

CletusMarley Knuckle Dragger Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    Tejas
    That bass would give Jack White a boner. He prob has one in every color. Lol

Pdaddy1978 and scuzzy like this.
  15. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    The original version intrigues me mostly because of the "Res-o-glas" body. Which I guess was a hollow fiberglass shell. I have a weakness for non-traditional instrument materials.

Londo Molari and bholder like this.
  16. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Right, except you left out Speigel. ward's gave you Airline and sears gave you Danelectro and Harmony under the Silvertone badge. Speigel gave you Kay.

B-Mac, Pdaddy1978, Dynacord and 4 others like this.
  17. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I love Eastwood basses.Their take on classic designs along with their original models is refreshing.I'm lusting after a Warren Ellis 4 string baritone guitar myself.I have been leaving not so subtle hints for a Xmas gift.

Attached Files:

bholder likes this.
  18. The chrome noodle tailpiece is a dead giveaway that it's a modern copy. I hate those things. The first thing I would do if one of these fell into my hands would be to replace the cheap generic tailpiece with a different (i.e., non-noodle) cheap tailpiece. And then throw on some flatwounds. Or maybe it wouldn't be hard to fashion some kind of cover piece to go over the shiny noodle.

19. Hehe I love how the switch says "TONE SWITCH" on it (even though it's actually a pickup selector), just in case you might mistake it for a button or a knob, or you come from a place where switches are generally not found on things... The two volume and single tone knobs are unlabeled though. It would be funny to make a little sticker for it that says "KNOBS" with three arrows pointing to the knobs...

20. Here's a cool dude playing different map guitars 9 years apart.