What bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brothernewt, Jan 17, 2006.

1. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Would someone please tell me?
  2. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    that is odd... of course the light has to hit the headstock just right for us to now be able to see the brand name...

As of right now I know I am wrong but it is "very similar" to an Ibanez BTB Series bass... By similar, I mean longer neck, longer top horn (where the strap fits on in the front) and individual bridges for each of the 5 strings. Other guitars have one saddle from which all the string fit into where the one in the photo and a BTB have separate bridges for each string.

The fret markers and tone knobs are definately different though.
  3. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

What Bass Is This is essentially a Greensleeves remake.

4. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Naw, this bass looks nothing like the Peavy's

I tried zooming in on the headstock and noticed that there is text on the truss rod cover with what looked like a "D" as the first letter, this led me over to DEAN guitars but they also had nothing that looked like this.
  5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    see...that's why I asked. I've been to each of those manufacturer's websites and came up blank. Closest was ESP but even that wasn't it. I'm stumped!
  6. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    GOT IT!!!!

ESP Custom B Series 5 String bass.... Key word being custom.

The bass looks just like these with the exception of the custom pickups and tone knobs and bridge saddles

The D i saw may actually be an E which would lead me to beleive that this guy is playing an ESP...
  7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nope, it looks to me like a Knuckle (http://www.knuckleguitarworks.com/ ), right down to the headstock. They're extra-long-scale instruments designed for low tunings...

"Debris" is also on the list of Knuckle players.

8. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

I got it...

It is from a Company called "Knuckle"

Enalrge the image you have and take a look at the logo above the neck joint... it says nothing else but "Knuckle"

Same body color, shape, pickup config etc.. .there it is
    Knuckle Contemporary Silouette 5 String
    Olive Green Transparent

9. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

I don't think so... The bass in question is a bolt-on. compare the neck pocket to the ESP bolt-on. They're way different.
  10. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    As the two above have mentioned, it's a Knuckle bass.

38" scale length (if I'm not remembering wrong).
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

You can see it's a knuckle.. look on the body by the neck in the picture of the guy playing it.. it says "Knuckle"
  12. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    I've never seen a knuckle before. Very, very ugly IMO
  13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, especially when it's coming at you fast, in a sandwich.

(sorry about that... :rollno: )
  14. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've gotta hand it to you guys, I'd never guess what the heck that bass is. The closest that occurred to me is that it was some sort of customed out, Japanese ESP but even that didn't seem right. I've NEVER seen one of these things before. I can't decide if it’s beautiful or hideous. Anybody famous out there play one of theses? any TBers out there try one?

15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There's some sound clips of the mighty knuckle over at BassTasters. The idea behind this bass, is the 38" scale...
  16. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    38" :eek: That's mighty.
  17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I gotta agree. Well, I dunno about 'ugly', but it's definitely not for me.
  18. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Other then the headstock, I kind of like it. I'm not much for the jag's.
  19. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't think it's ugly, but it is special.

Of course, adding 4" to the scale length will obviously "stretch" the design a little, too. That's the reason it looks a little different than most other basses out there. It wouldn't have looked good if the body was "normal" with the extra 4" added just to the neck... :)

I like it, and think it's cool. However, I've found that I'm a 34" guy, and even 35" throws me off. So 38"... don't think I could get used to it, unfortunately. The sound is huge, though, from what I've heard.